We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trials and tribulations

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

TV reception has always been a challenge down here in the valley where I live, although just 8 miles from the main transmitter at Crystal Palace there is a small matter of a lump of tree covered chalk almost vertically sided about 350 ft high that gets in the way. We have a TV relay at Kenley that fills in the gaps on analogue TV but with the impending digital change over I have been trying to get digital from the main TX. By the proliferation of aerials on poles sprouting from the roof tops and chimneys others in the valley are doing the same. So I have taken the plunge and replaced the two TV's in the house with a couple of LG models a 22” and a 26” fed from an aerial about 10ft above the roof with a masthead pre-amp. This provides enough signal for one TV but wont feed both, so out to get a powered diplexer, better but now signal is too strong! Had to put a 10db attenuator between the preamp output and the diplexer as the signal quality went down due to overloaded diplexer. Now it all works – just the odd picture drop-out from unsuppressed motorbikes going past. Now I am ready for the switch-over to the Kenley transmitter in April next year when all my problems should be solved and I can use my other aerial again and fit a multiplexer so I can have both aerials feeding digital TV. Now to start on the camper van .. where can I find a 12V digibox? I know I will ask my long suffering (but getting rich) supplier of bits SatCure

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

amazon

Any good?

Like this post  
Strawballs

Likes # 0

When they switch off the analogue they will be boosting the digital signal

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[impending digital change over] If your area has not already changed to digital I would not worry to much about the signal. I get very good digital pictures just using one of those tiny loop aerials you used to get on portable TV's and I am as far away from the main transmitter that you can get.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Comag do a 12 24 volts one also works on mains. Not a digi Box its a Sat box that comes in a case with the Dish in the lid that you can plonk on the car roof

link text

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have just got a Sat Dish to use with freesat, and will also dig out my old sky box (from previous house) and use sky's free channels as got a quad thingy on it so have a spare lead. Also have freeview from aerial as tv got built in freeview.

Beginning to wonder how I'll have time to do anything else but watch tv....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good