We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cars automatic v manual

paddyjack
Resolved

Likes # 0

My brother State side has just got himself a new motor. He then posed this question to me, how come the majority of cars sold in America are automatics, while in Europe the majority are manual?

Anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

In the USA the roads tend to be straight and you really do not change gear that often. An automatic there seems to make sense.

Now I'd have said the opposite - if you have long straight roads use a manual, once you're up in top gear take your foot off the clutch and relax. But on our roads an automatic makes far more sense...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

BT

I remember having to turn the heater off on steep hills to give an extra horse or two back to the engine.

Talking of modern features, my girlfriend's Kia Soul has a reversing camera, the display is in the rearview mirror, according to Autocar the only other car with this feature (display in mirror, not reversing camera) is the Bugatti Veyron Supersport World Record Edition, which is only £1,984,395 more expensive...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

alan14

My sisters Nissan Qashqai has a reversing camera which uses the built in multi use screen for Sat Nav etc.

Like this post
paddyjack

Likes # 0

Some very interesting answers.

My first 4 wheel driving experience was a Euclid dumper in a quarry where I started my apprenticeship. My first car was a Morris 1000, my current one is a Renault Scenic. I have driven a few automatics in my time never really liked them or felt comfortable driving them.

Think we have answered the question so will mark as resolved.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

BT

A few cars have reversing cameras, some even have them in the front side bumpers, but according to Autocar only the Kia Soul & Veyron have the display in the mirror, which is a very natural place to look.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

My Dad owns a Skoda Octavia with a DSG box and the quoted consumption and emission figures are now better than the manual equivalent. Please no high tech arguments about whether or not the DSG is a real auto box or not, so what if is an electronically controlled dual clutch, multiple-shaft manual gearbox, practically speaking you select Drive and press the pedal, that's automatic enough for me.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Please no high tech arguments... that's automatic enough for me."

However, the above does explain why it matches a manual transmission for fuel economy, an auto box with a torque converter absorbs the lost power in the hydraulic power transfer, and you can never make that more efficient than a simple mechanical input/output shaft operation.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The VW DSG gearbox operation DSG vid

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVWP7TYhP0c I quite fancy one myself now.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

In 1991 I used to borrow the company car which was a 1990 Honda Civic automatic. Better performance cold than hot - simply pile on some revs, release the handbrake and pop it into One until it screamed for Two and pop it into Drive when up to speed. For faster acceleration when overtaking, just pop it back into Two.

Another question - why do the tyres on American cars always squeal at the slightest deviation from a straight line?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......