We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cars automatic v manual

paddyjack
Resolved

Likes # 0

My brother State side has just got himself a new motor. He then posed this question to me, how come the majority of cars sold in America are automatics, while in Europe the majority are manual?

Anybody got any thoughts on the subject?

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

I wonder what the percentage of obese people is in the USA against those in Europe.

It could be they need their free hand to hold coffee and doughnuts. While in Europe we us our free hand to change gear.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

So thats what your free hand is for!!!!

Like this post
Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

because they opened the door to let the clutch out :)

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Automatic transmission is more expensive to buy and more costly on fuel so we in the UK just find it too expensive to buy and run a car fitted with automatic transmission. I also suspect that thwe Americans like their gadgets more than we do. As it so happens I went over to automatic 4 years ago and would never go back to manual now.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps the manual users are more sensitive to having less expensive faults in their motoring behaviour?.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Sorry spuds but I am not too sure what you mean by "more sensitive". I drive an automatic but don`t feel sensitive to anything.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Early automatic gearboxes were simple three speed affairs, which is OK if you've got a huge motor under the hood with lots of spare torque, but a smaller, less torquey engine really needs more gears to work to the maximum efficiency.

US cars have big, low revving engines, whereas in Europe we've traditionally had smaller, higher revving engines.

I suppose the nearest we had in the UK to an American car in the 50's & 60's is the Roll Royce, which used a Buick V8 designed some time in the early Iron Age. Rolls also used the Buick 3-speed column shift auto gear box. They're still using that engine, but now have an 8-speed auto if I recall correctly...

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

I have had automatic cars for many years,dont know the answer though.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There's also a fair amount of power loss absorbed in the automatic transmission. In a manual gearbox with top gear being a 1:1 throughput (no reduction or step up), there is a minimal power loss, I believe auto boxes absorb something like 10/15% an engine's power output.

That, together with the popularity of the American big capacity 5/7lt V8s (because gas was too cheap for the carefree/wasteful US public), meant that they didn't care about the terrible fuel consumption or losing 20/30 bhp just driving the transmission units.

Whereas broke post war Europe still had swinging ration restrictions and high duty on fuel that meant we had to go down the economy first driving route.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

swingeing of course, amazing how much difference the missing e makes...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback