We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How many Lords?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 1

click here

Is Cameron the new Blair? He's appointed more Lords than ever before (and looks like he's now going into Libya, too.) adding 117 new peers in the last year - more than any other PM in post-war history.

Why are so many 'Lords' needed, why are 'Lords' needed at all? If ever there was a time for a smaller, elected, upper chamber, surely this is it.

I thought the Government was trying to save our money and cut bureaucracy! Cameron's words are ringing a bit empty at present

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So let me see if I have got this right: the PM can make a list of people and promote them to being a Lord for rest of their life. We, as voters get no say in this list. They cannot be 'sacked' (unless bad behaviour/criminal. Apparently they can overrule the elected Government.

So can someone explain to me what these Lords do and what powers they have? as it does not seem very democratic to me.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

lotvic

A lot of the lords appointed these days are "special advisors", Alan Sugar is a perfect example, he's in the Lords to give a business eye view of the implications of any legislation passing through the house.

How someone who's managed against the odds to build one decent product amongst a pile of steaming crap has managed to get such a position is beyond me

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

alan14 A bit like Lord Prescott then?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

But remember Lord Prescott didn't want the title or anything to do with lordships, but it was all forced upon him!.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

more snouts in the trough

At least the reduction in care for the elderly is going to a good cause

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

lotvic, spuds

Prescott rose from being a ship's steward to the second highest job in the land - by being elected.
That, to me, gives him some credibility and a reason to be in the Lords.

I may disagree with a lot of what he said, but at the same time he's due some respect.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

But Strathclyde wouldn't even define what a full day's work might be!!

I'm sorry exclamation marks upset you, I'm sorry you say you have a simple mind, maybe if you hadn't originally described people's comments as 'rants' in your first posting it would have helped.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

fourm member

The fact I expressed surprise that 117 new legilators had been selected, rather than elected, within a twelve month period is hardly a rant, nor was my sugeestion, or opinion, that reform of the Lords is more important than electoral reform

And I did not mention Cameron.

The complaint comes from the Lords themselves, and it is they who are warning the PM that he is elevating too many.

Like you, I was just telling it as I saw it, and by no means ranting

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Don't you just love the give and take on this Forum?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

I presume your comment was with a hint of sarcasm? (If not, apologies for what follows!).

What sort of forum would you want? One where each post was just a "Yes, you are so right, I do so agree with you"?

This should be where ideas are put up and discussed (yes, even argued about) to test each other's theories.

What a dull world, if we all thought the same about everything.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow