We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How many Lords?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 1

click here

Is Cameron the new Blair? He's appointed more Lords than ever before (and looks like he's now going into Libya, too.) adding 117 new peers in the last year - more than any other PM in post-war history.

Why are so many 'Lords' needed, why are 'Lords' needed at all? If ever there was a time for a smaller, elected, upper chamber, surely this is it.

I thought the Government was trying to save our money and cut bureaucracy! Cameron's words are ringing a bit empty at present

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Fourum member

Oh dear. You either haven't read the linked story or you haven't read the thread, or both.

This seems to be your stock answer when you cannot put a reasonable argument forward.

It is of little concern to me who created these lords our from what political party they are from my concern is with the extra unnecessary costs involved to the British taxpayer . Maybe sometimes you should try to put your party politics to one side and look at the bigger picture

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Like yourself, I have no idea why Cameron would insist on doing this, because:-

a) it makes it harder to get any legislation through, particularly when it's difficult enough being in a coalition.

b) it's obviously going to cost money, and people will consider it more government waste.

c) it's hardly 'We're all in this together' when large daily payments can be claimed by those who very likely don't need extra, anyway, while more vulnerable people in our society are suffering the cuts.

It appears to be a big political banana skin, and our PM walked into it - worrying leadership, I'm afraid.

Like this post  
spider9

Likes # 0

"£300 a day is not a large daily payment. Not in the sort of world where lawyers, accountants and consultants of all forms are charging that per hour."

But all those lawyers etc have specific definable jobs that they charge for - you accept the Lords don't?

Why have 'comparisons' to be made with such professions, it just means perpetuating higher incomes for those not in need of it. Why not compare with an auxiliary in a hospital - and tell the auxiliary there is no job description, just attend, when you feel like it, and collect your cash (sure he'd jump at it).

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

There is a need for a second chamber yes but the Lords is so outdated in a democratic society

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

john 52

Ah, finally, I see how this works. You post;

This could be David's idea of a job creation scheme**

and then I make it party political by pointing out that it wasn't all the PM's doing.

That is strange I thought Mr Cameron was the prime minister and was responsible for trying to get the economy straight and create jobs so do you suggest I should have said Gordon Browns job creation scheme .

It does not matter Who or What party added more expense to the British public the result is the same and this is under David Cameron's watch .

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"Because I'm not interested in making that sort of comparison."

That just about says it all, you only ever consider your own view on any topic as having any importance.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

fourm member

spider9

We've been five pages talking about a minor story.

A lot of people will find this not to be a minor story when many people are losing there jobs for the sake of government cutbacks ,forgoing salary increases and paying increase taxes the very last thing they will think is that it is a minor story .

We do not need the extra burden of more peers to go onto the gravy train .

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

"We've been five pages talking about a minor story." "Life's too short"

Then why continue? Or is the last word the usual necessity?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......