We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The AV referendum

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

link text

"the campaign has thrown up some strange alliances... Meanwhile, the "yes" campaign will see Mr Miliband rub shoulders with Vince Cable, who has found himself at odds with his Conservative coalition colleagues in recent days over immigration policy."

Listening to the street, people still don't get it that the coalition entails talking to and dealing with unlikely partners. The popular press still castigates the LibDems for reneging on their manifesto while blindly ignoring that the Tories have also had to compromise their ideal winner takes all position, because they're not in a position to do so, because they weren't given carte blanche at the election.

Should the AV take the day, how long do you think it'll take to get away from the I expected XXX from my party because they had the largest number of votes? I think it'll take a generation to get used to the change away from the my turn, you're turn, we'll do it our way regardless method that first past the post has given us.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 1

I have heard few good and accurate arguments for or against, so I will be voting no at the moment, as I only want one part to win anyway. Furthermore, if those who feel like me simply vote only for one party as I will if we end up with AV, then a party will be able to win without 50% of the vote, thus making a mockery of the change should it happen.

Incidentally, both coalition parties deserve all the stick they get (but they have to work together? Well boohoo) as one is The Nasty Party and the other, largely a party of lilly livered cowards with no integrity, who had the option of leaving the Conservatives to languish in minority government but chose a miserable little compromise instead.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps off subject, but wait until you all have to vote for an 'elected mayor'. More confusion, party politics and further expense to the public in providing another service that the public might or might not want or even need?.

In London we have had the 'red team' now the 'blue team', and in other places a monkey. Still not sure as to whether this is the British way or the American way. Glad that I do not understand these things, and remain an 'undecided'!.

In my location we have a number of voting decisions to make on May 5th. AV, council and MP all seeking selection. We have yet to see anyone 'putting their case' either on the front door, or mass leaflet circulation. Even the UKIP selected representative seems to have gone to ground. And after all this the public are asked to make essential decisions on who would be the best candidates or voting methods. Seems to me that the interest is no longer there with British politics and its aftermath of 'serious' incidents?.

As I stated, my comments are off subject?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I am concerned that there may be a low turn out for the referendum, especially where there are not local elections taking place at the same time. Those who vote in the referendum may be those interested in change and therefore we may get AV with only a small proportion of the total electorate.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woolwell

But, as long as I can remember we've always elected governments on small representation numbers, anyway, and if only those ' interested in change' bother to vote, then so be it - they will get their way (and perfectly correct as they bothered to think and vote).

Without compulsory voting that's the way it will always be - you cannot insist that people are interested in something, it's up to them - democratic freedom I think it's known as.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9

I agree but I hope (I suspect a forlorn hope) that more would vote.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Woolwell

To repeat the content of my earlier post so as to confirm what spider9 has said - only 22% of the electorate voted for Labour in the 2005 GE yet they got a 60+ seat majority.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With regards to compulsory voting, isn't this already on the list for urgent consideration, and perhaps more so after the results of the publics views on AV. Baroness Warsi seems to be one advocate suggesting or airing this point!.

Other countries have compulsory voting on politics and referendums, so why shouldn't the UK. Unless this might lead to an upsurge of spoiled vote?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I hope we dont get AV as I'm pretty certain it'll mean whoever finally gets in will take some shifting to remove if they dont appear to be doing what they promised us they would.

As for a Mayor,I read the local paper & within it is lots of councillors letters telling us it'd be great & lots of letters saying "I dont give a pigs burp" from the population.As our counsellors are Labour & been in power for almost my entire lifetime,& despite regular rants in the letters pages saying how these counsellors are letting the town die they're likely to remain in the Executive.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

"As our counsellors are Labour & been in power for almost my entire lifetime,& despite regular rants in the letters pages saying how these counsellors are letting the town die they're likely to remain in the Executive."

This is a perfect demonstration of public apathy.

The public complain in the papers about how the councillors are not performing, but despite the fact that the councillors are up for election every three years they're still there...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Chegs "I'm pretty certain it'll mean whoever finally gets in will take some shifting"

I'm not clear how you think that AV will have such an effect. It is nowhere near full PR, just a minor change to the present system. Even Clegg said as much, and he's advocating it!

Local elections are different matters, where you can (and do) get small groups who are able to keep councils at 'status quo' due to total apathy - but that would be true regardless of what system you had.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes