We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The AV referendum

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

link text

"the campaign has thrown up some strange alliances... Meanwhile, the "yes" campaign will see Mr Miliband rub shoulders with Vince Cable, who has found himself at odds with his Conservative coalition colleagues in recent days over immigration policy."

Listening to the street, people still don't get it that the coalition entails talking to and dealing with unlikely partners. The popular press still castigates the LibDems for reneging on their manifesto while blindly ignoring that the Tories have also had to compromise their ideal winner takes all position, because they're not in a position to do so, because they weren't given carte blanche at the election.

Should the AV take the day, how long do you think it'll take to get away from the I expected XXX from my party because they had the largest number of votes? I think it'll take a generation to get used to the change away from the my turn, you're turn, we'll do it our way regardless method that first past the post has given us.

Like this post
nangadef

Likes # 0

Under the current system, unless you live in a marginal constituency, what's the point of voting if you don't support the incumbent party?

When I was young I eagerly voted at each election, but soon became disillusioned and stopped voting when I realised that unless I voted 'blue' my vote was not going to count.

Perhaps under AV my vote may have an impact, but not if the 1st votes are over 50% blue.

Proportional representation would be fairer.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Even if it accepted, you have the choice of just voting for one candidate if you want, if everyone does that then it will make no difference what system they use.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

bremner You don't even need 100. Nearly all of our laws are made by Brussels so why bother with any MPs at all?

Like this post
Monoux

Likes # 0

shellship -- surely you'd need two MPs for your suggestion to work. One to rubber stamp those laws and the second to cover when the first is on holiday :o)

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Forum Member

I believe the only truly democratic system is PR. A party getting 35% of the vote gets 35% of the seats.

Yes it means the end of constituent MP's but if that's the price for a truly democratic parliament then so be it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Make it law - you must vote - is this sensible? The abysmal turnouts don't reflect the real wishes of the 'people'. In any electoral reform or major issue like a referendum, all of the 'people' must be involved. If you don't vote you are fined £1000. Does that make sense?

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

No, do not make it law to vote. That takes away my fundamental right Not to Vote. The abysmal turnouts do reflect the real wishes of the 'people', they don't wish to vote so they don't bother to turn-out.

Like this post
heymin

Likes # 0

My memory is not too good but I believe we're only voting on AV because the PR people couldn't get the choice. If AV is passed, I suspect in a few years time there will be another referendum between PR and FPTP. As an aside, if the voters in England can't exceed the combined totals of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland that would be exceedingly disappointing so I think that it is a non-argument as far as the result being influenced by any country except England.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Bremner

But then, to be democratic, all the people who appear on the PR party lists (who will then become our MPs) would have to be elected to the Party lists first, as opposed to now when 'candidates' just seem to materialise.

So would we need elections before elections?

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

The 10 o'clock BBC news reports that the No campaign have a 16 point lead over the yes to reform.

All 5 adults here have decided to keep the staus quo and vote no on May 5th.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...