We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The AV referendum

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

link text

"the campaign has thrown up some strange alliances... Meanwhile, the "yes" campaign will see Mr Miliband rub shoulders with Vince Cable, who has found himself at odds with his Conservative coalition colleagues in recent days over immigration policy."

Listening to the street, people still don't get it that the coalition entails talking to and dealing with unlikely partners. The popular press still castigates the LibDems for reneging on their manifesto while blindly ignoring that the Tories have also had to compromise their ideal winner takes all position, because they're not in a position to do so, because they weren't given carte blanche at the election.

Should the AV take the day, how long do you think it'll take to get away from the I expected XXX from my party because they had the largest number of votes? I think it'll take a generation to get used to the change away from the my turn, you're turn, we'll do it our way regardless method that first past the post has given us.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With regards to compulsory voting, isn't this already on the list for urgent consideration, and perhaps more so after the results of the publics views on AV. Baroness Warsi seems to be one advocate suggesting or airing this point!.

Other countries have compulsory voting on politics and referendums, so why shouldn't the UK. Unless this might lead to an upsurge of spoiled vote?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I hope we dont get AV as I'm pretty certain it'll mean whoever finally gets in will take some shifting to remove if they dont appear to be doing what they promised us they would.

As for a Mayor,I read the local paper & within it is lots of councillors letters telling us it'd be great & lots of letters saying "I dont give a pigs burp" from the population.As our counsellors are Labour & been in power for almost my entire lifetime,& despite regular rants in the letters pages saying how these counsellors are letting the town die they're likely to remain in the Executive.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

"As our counsellors are Labour & been in power for almost my entire lifetime,& despite regular rants in the letters pages saying how these counsellors are letting the town die they're likely to remain in the Executive."

This is a perfect demonstration of public apathy.

The public complain in the papers about how the councillors are not performing, but despite the fact that the councillors are up for election every three years they're still there...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Chegs "I'm pretty certain it'll mean whoever finally gets in will take some shifting"

I'm not clear how you think that AV will have such an effect. It is nowhere near full PR, just a minor change to the present system. Even Clegg said as much, and he's advocating it!

Local elections are different matters, where you can (and do) get small groups who are able to keep councils at 'status quo' due to total apathy - but that would be true regardless of what system you had.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Three - and ONLY three - countries in the world have AV, and at least one of them is trying to change their method. So if nothing else, this shows that those using AV aren't exactl happy with it!! Coupled with the fact that we will - constantly - have a coalition governments. NOT the same ones necessarily but some of them and all parties will only be interested in getting into power, never mind the extra cost!! It's bad enough handing out all this money to foreigners but to go and waste a large amount ( whether or not it is £250 million or not ) at this time when we need every penny so we can get out of this debt that Labour have landed us with is disgraceful.

If you English ( and I am a Scot brought down by my parents in 1951 ) allow the Scots to over-rule you then is it not time that the English population started trying to stop this. For instance Scotland gets over £1,500 per person to spend on themselves - why don't the English stop this? It would be one way of reducing the Labour debt!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Spider 9 Not looking for scapegoats or anything else. It is a distinct possibility. The Scots will probably turn out in large numbers and vote "Yes" as is their democratic right. Whereas the folks South of the Border will probably not be arsed to turn out, thus AV will come to us all.

If you thought for a moment before speaking from the gap between your Buttocks then you might see the possible implications.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

The same councillor's getting in wouldn't have anything to do with party selection, and towing the party line would it?.

In my location we have had all of the three major parties in control, at one stage or another, all to fail because of constant inter-party wrangling.

People have even stood as Independents, because they thought this might be a wise move, and won a seat, only to resign because they were stone-walled, not just by the other parties, but by council officer's as well.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

Of course, some people always vote for the same party no matter what, but if you have councillor X who is constantly complained about in the paper, and they come up for re-election only a fool would still vote for their party if it kept the useless councillor in power.

I'm generally a labour supporter, but in local elections last year I voted for a Tory councillor just to get the dreary Labour councillor out of office and out of our local paper week in and week out...

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It has been estimated that if AV had been in place for the 2005 election Labour would have actually increased their seats by about 10 due to Liberals placing the Labour candidate second. Click here

This is why Labour are in favour and the Tories so anti.

We need fundamental reform not tinkering that makes little or no change.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Turnout in Local Elections is typically about 25 -35%, so any so called Referendum result will most definitely not be representative of the overall majority of the country. I can't see people turning out to specifically vote in the Referendum when they can't normally be bothered to vote in the local elections.

Turnout in the Referendum on Common Market membership was 65% with a 67% vote in favour. I can't see this happening this time. Most of the people interviewed by the BBC on Friday either didn't know (a) there was a Referendum or (b) what it was about.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room