We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Old songs for the oldies...

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

.... and that includes me. Some are not available but worth checking out I think.

http://www.stereomood.com/mood/vintage

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Talking about a blunt 6" nail. There are (were) a number of street kids in various place around South America, who swooned the public with their paper or cardboard cone with needle attached to end, inserting said needle on a old record and the finger spinning the record until the appropriate sound was retrieved. Nail or similar on wooden board acted as turntable.

The same applied to glass bottles filled at different levels with water, and the home made bamboo pan pipe was also very popular. Many a pleasant moment was spent listening to the rhythms gained, and all for a few pesos or an half eaten hamburger or ear of 'cooked' corn.

Eat your heart out Max ;o)

My earlier comment about Wakey wakey, was indeed Billy Cotton. Who remembers his version of The Love Bug Will Bite You, Wheezy Anna's Wedding Day et al?.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Most of us on here can remember Billy Cotton's dad going by the ages... It seems the younger ones don't have the time or just can't be bothered.

Like this post
Fred Spoons EPNS

Likes # 0

I'm an avid collector of music from the 50s, 60s and 70s and have all the chart hits from 1952 to 1980. What strikes me is that there is huge diversity in these musical decades. My favourite Max Bygraves track is 'Every Streets A Coronation Street'. I also like the way Russ Conway could switch from honkey-tonk to grand piano much in the same way Winifred Atwell could switch to serious classical piano playing.

I wish there were more diverse FM stations playing this kind of music.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...