We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Finite number of mobile numbers.

DANZIG

Likes # 0

I had a thought earlier.

A mate of mine changed his mobile number just by phoning his operator who gave him a new number over the phone, quite impressive service I thought. However there must be a finite amount of numbers out there to be used, I haven't done the maths to work out how many that finite number is, but it IS finite.

So....is his OLD number simply reused by someone else or discarded??

If it is re-used, wouldn't that cause privacy issues if the number was given to an -ex-contact (for example) of the phone owner?? Admittedly it would have to be an incredible coincidence though.

If its discarded - when are the numbers available going to run out? Then what??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that they may reuse the number after 6 months. I've always taken my number with me.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

18 months is the turn over time.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can anything be finite in mathematics? A mobile phone number might be reused but I can't think of a reason to.

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

My point is that the phone number of length 11 digits can only have so many permutations, albeit a hell of lot of them. If numbers are not reused then eventually what with more and more people getting mobile and an increasing population, eventually they will run out.

Just like, I believe in the early 90's, when landlines got an extra digit.

The difference being, a landline is attached to a dwelling, whereas a mobile phone is attached to a person.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Currently all uk mobiles start 07

This gives a total of 1 billion (1000 million) numbers. With a population of about 60 million this does seem sufficient.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

11 digits, each one could be any one of 0,,1,2,...9 (that is ten digits) so in theory 10X10X10....eleven times.

Numbers available 10 000 0000 000. World population about 6 billion = 6 000 000 000 (using defn of billion as a thousand million).
So should be enough numbers?

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

Well the maths seems to be OK, but how about this....

I'm on my 5th phone now, and the first one I've had a contract with, the rest were pay as you go.

Those earlier phones I gave away to charity in those 'old phone collection schemes' some of them do. Will those phone numbers get re-used or are they still attached to those phones??

I can't be the only person who has done this, say a million people have done the same as me - thats 4 million numbers floating around unused (maybe).

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

But on the worldwide scale there are at present 4 billion 'spares', and that's assuming every man, woman and child in the whole world had a mobile phone. Even using your example of 'a million others.. like me' would hardly make a dent in 4 billion.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

DANZIG

When you gave away the phones did you not remove the SIM cards? The number is attached to the SIM card not the phone.

Regarding the number of numbers in circulation, I got 4 free SIMs from T-Mobile when I needed one for a phone that had been given to my wife. Each SIM has its own number so that's 3 numbers that are not being used. When you consider the vast numbers of free SIM cards being given out in multiples by the providers, there must be huge numbers of numbers just sitting there not being used.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Spider9

Your figures are somewhat out.

Just assuming every country in the world used 07 as the start of their mobile numbers as we do then each country would have 1 billion numbers available.

Each country of course has its own International Dialing code so someone in the US would have exactly the same 07x number as me in the UK.

How many international dialing codes are there 100 ish which gives 100 billion numbers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen