We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Badge Scheme

lucky1

Likes # 0

On renewing my wife's blue badge today I found that our local council now charges £20 for this. It was free before. Is this just a local thing to us (Falkirk Council) or is it the same nationwide now?

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 1

It was suggested that there is no reason why disabled people cannot pay for there parking but could the same not be said for people over a certain age getting free prescriptions, free bus travel or heating allowance The Blue badge system is abused by a small majority of people but too many people it is the difference between being able to go to the shops or an event or not and many people would swap there disability and free parking to live a normal life

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

John 52

many people would swap their disability and free parking to live a normal life.

You are not wrong! If only.

Like this post
GJC60

Likes # 0

Southampton Council charges £2.00 for new/re-newal of badges. I agree with hssutton on his point, ouside my mates he has a 4 spaces disabled bay and one woman always parks taking up 2 spaces, also taxi drivers in Southampton seem to think they are just extra spaces for them to park/pick up/drop off on and nothing is ever done about them.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I know the blue badge can be used in Germany and probably other European countries too. But I suppose all countries have different rules about times etc. However I think the rules in Germany are the same wherever you go in the country. I've never parked in other countries on the way there, as I only normally stop in service centres. The rules could do with standardising in the U.K.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The Blue Badge is an EU badge (it used to be orange when it was UK only) and can be used throughout the EU, subject to regional variations.

I wouldn't like to have to abide by English rules.

I understand that parking is time limited to 3 hours.

By the time I have put the sill protectors in place, lined up the ramps, unchained the scooter, got it out and moved it via the nearest pavement drop (anything up to two hundred yards or more) to the passenger door, folded and stowed the ramps, removed the sill protector, fitted the backrest to the scooter, lifted my wife onto the seat and settled her a good bit of that period, usually 20 - 30 minutes, has already elapsed.

You then have to dash around getting your shopping done in a rush because reversing the process takes even longer, maybe 45 minutes.

Might not seem a short time to many of us, but for those of us who are not male an hour to do a day's shopping is a gross breach of human rights!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"I understand that parking is time limited to 3 hours".

Usually referred to as 'Waiting' in legal terms, and not 'Parking'.

All depends on the regulations and lines plus nearby signs. Can vary to unloading/loading only, no waiting, times on signs or local enforcement and roadworks (no waiting cone, diversions etc?).

Best to check before leaving the vehicle and doing the tasks ahead.

Another point well worth considering is that any blue badge is not an entitlement, its basically a privilege for use. Some disabled people having and using a 'blue badge' might at times forget this!.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I thought "waiting" and "Parking" were two different terms legally.

Blue badge parking is permitted in any area, and at any time, where "Loading/Unloading" is permitted, except where such loading/unloading takes place in a specifically dedicated area, subject always, of course, to not causing an obstruction.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

From the maximum fee a local authority can charge for a Blue Badge will increase from £2 to £10

Blue badge website

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

My recent renewal cost me £2 - Cheshire Council.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers