We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Badge Scheme

lucky1

Likes # 0

On renewing my wife's blue badge today I found that our local council now charges £20 for this. It was free before. Is this just a local thing to us (Falkirk Council) or is it the same nationwide now?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If they charged for blue badge parking it might stop those who "borrow" grandads badge to go to the shops so they don't have to pay for parking.

The other thing is just because someone is disabled does not mean they are unable to pay.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

The cost of a blue badge and the availability of free parking for those who have them is a local authority thing. It seems to vary from one part of the country to to another. It can be confusing as £5 for the badge and free parking in my local authority but not so all over the country.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Thanks to all who have responded. Now, where's the cheque book!!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

It depends on where you mark, council & on street parking is usually free for blue badge holders.

Most private car parks I've come across are also free if you park in a marked disabled bay, many charge if you park in a non-disabled spot.

My girlfriend has a blue badge and her big bug-bear is that some places put the parent & child spaces closer to the door than disabled spaces - yes have wider spaces so you can fit your huge 4 x 4 into the space, but it doesn't need to be closer to the door than disabled bays...

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

alan14

"Most private car parks I've come across are also free if you park in a marked disabled bay, many charge if you park in a non-disabled spot".

This certainly does not apply on the east Coast of England and that also applies to most, if not all council car parks

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

We have parts of the county where you do not need a clock and other parts where you do. Real joined up thinking on the councils part.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

hssutton

Not the case in North West, or at least in the places I've parked recently, Rochdale, Bury, Manchester, Lancaster, Preston...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It could maybe stop the baddies from using them"

Why penalise the goodies by making them pay?

Why not penalise the baddies in the first place?

Parking in a disabled bay without a blue badge is illegal in Scotland.

Once again it's down to policing and enforcement.

"I don't see why they should be able to park for free as well."

Scotland tends to be more disabled friendly than England. On street parking is without limit of time, and off street parking is nearly always free, even in private car parks, except for two (that I know about) as I mentioned earlier.

Most tourist attractions also display a "Carers Go Free" logo.

I must also say that, in the main, people themselves seem to be much more helpful and obliging.

A few years ago a major local resurfacing work came to a total halt as all the plant moved out of the way so that my wife could get to the post office. We didn't ask for that, they just did it.

Similarly I've seen a JCB driver leave his tea break to move his digger out of the way, and a bus driver do the same to move his bus to an easier spot for my wife to board from.

We honestly don't get the same consideration in England.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 1

It was suggested that there is no reason why disabled people cannot pay for there parking but could the same not be said for people over a certain age getting free prescriptions, free bus travel or heating allowance The Blue badge system is abused by a small majority of people but too many people it is the difference between being able to go to the shops or an event or not and many people would swap there disability and free parking to live a normal life

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

John 52

many people would swap their disability and free parking to live a normal life.

You are not wrong! If only.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote