We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Badge Scheme

lucky1

Likes # 0

On renewing my wife's blue badge today I found that our local council now charges £20 for this. It was free before. Is this just a local thing to us (Falkirk Council) or is it the same nationwide now?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

From the maximum fee a local authority can charge for a Blue Badge will increase from £2 to £10

Blue badge website

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

My recent renewal cost me £2 - Cheshire Council.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

peter99co - thanks for the useful links.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you check out the Falkirk Council's own website, you will find that it states- from 1st April 2010 the fee for a blue badge is £20.00 and £10.00 for a duplicate.

Each council in the UK have their own rules about fees for administration.

Living in Scotland also brings surprises regarding using Blue Badges in England. In England you are automatically provided with a cardboard clock for setting the times allowed. If you intend to travel over the border from Scotland, you will need to 'borrow/loan' a clock from your local Scottish authority. Many a Scottish blue badge visitor might fall foul to an English Parking Attendant for not displaying a clock!.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I was also stunned to find that in England I was expected to pay for parking!

The only two car parks I know that charge blue badge holders in Scotland are run by English management companies.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

morddwyd

As a parent of a severely disabled daughter I wish that every Blue Badge holder had to pay for parking, maybe then the wide bays would not be hogged by people that do not need them.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

hssutton. You have a good point there. It could maybe stop the baddies from using them. Then again it may not! I recently renewed my blue badge for free, so the amount charged must be down to your local council.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe it is a good way of getting back the money you don't pay for prescriptions north of the border. If that is the case, there must be an awful lot of blue badge holders up there.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Blue badge holders should certainly get priority parking places but I don't see why they should be able to park for free as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes