We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Man Flu

OTT_B

Likes # 0

For the umpteenth time in the last few months, I'm once again feeling ill. It seems that my kids don't go out to play, they go out to find new and exotic flu and cold variants, designed specifically to test immune system!

So come on then, what are the best ways to alleviate the symptoms of man flu?

Like this post
DippyGirl

Likes # 0

"So come on then, what are the best ways to alleviate the symptoms of man flu" Learn to love shoes..Oh and blow your nose !

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

A hasty exit from work yesterday morning, followed by about 15 hours of (slightly interrupted) sleep, and I'm feeling.....a little better. I think tomorrow night I will risk a hot toddie, before going to the freeze of Russia next week, hopefully feeling a lot better!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

In my experience (though not of Russia, sad to say) the sort of dry intense cold you get over there will do you good, as long as you're not out in it fighting a war without adequate clothing.

It the damp, bone numbing chill you get over here which drags your resistance down and leaves you vulnerable.

Like this post
hill farmer

Likes # 0

Don't understand it. A touch of flu and your incapable. Best way to get over it, get off your backsides, stop moaping and sweat it off with a bit of graft. No wonder the country is in the state it is with a bunch of wingers who will drop everything at the drop of a tiny bug.

God help me if I didn't check my stock because I wasn't " feeling to grand".

I'd be bankrupt.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

hill farmer

One of the worst things you could do if you have a full-blown dose of flu is "sweat it off with a bit of graft". You don't need to be a hill farmer to know what hard work is all about - that's the kind of myth that the farming community has fostered for generations. I know, because on my father's side I come from a long line of Welsh hill farmers on my father's side, and they all perpetuated the 'we work harder than anyone else' myth.

What lots of people refer to as 'a touch of flu' isn't flu at all, it's a bad cold - real flu is certainly not a "get off your backsides, stop moaping and sweat it off with a bit of graft" situation.

Flu lasts a few days, during which you feel awful, but almost everyone survives. Every year some people die as a result of complications brought on by flu, and I dare say there's the occasional hill farmer amongst them. If I want to mope a bit I'll mope, thanks very much.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I thought I'd better close this thread now.

My man-flu has gone! It's got to be the first time in years I've had a full on flu mind you, and it pretty well knocked my for 6 for about 3 days. Still, lots of rest helped as did being tended to by a most sympathetic Mrs OTT_B! That was followed by an excess of food in Russia to rebuild the energy reserves and I drank a little vodka and beer, just to ensure any remaining virus was poisoned out of existence!

So, my ultimate cure for man-flu was: Rest.

For recurrence prevention: Food, vodka and beer.

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

Glad you're better.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote