We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Banks ...grr

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Barclay's bank don't want my money! I tried to open an on-line account last week, filled in the form on-line, printed it and sent it back by post with a cheque. Now they want me to go to my local branch with a photo-id but I don't have one and I work when they are open. So they will have to send my cheque back and I will go elsewhere.

So much for their on-line banking!

I will stick with the bank I have got, I have managed to do all my banking including house purchase without ever going into a bank branch for the last 40 years I dont see why I have to go into one now.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

wiz-king speak to the bank. My understanding is that they don't have to have a photo id but something to prove who you are and something to prove where you live. Council tax bill, Income Tax notification and things like that may be acceptable. the problem that you are likely to come across is the person who says "it isn't on my list, it doesn't have a phote" in which case you will need to ask to speak to a supervisor. BTW they don't like bills/statements printed off the computer. You could have got access to someone's computer.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've been with Barclays for years and never had any problems with opening new accounts.

Is this the first time for you with Barclays, if so its probably a once off and would apply to any new customer at any bank. As has been said by other posters its a requirement to prevent money laundering. There was a time you could open an account in any name you chose but that doesn't apply any more. Its your real name or not at all.

That said once you have an account its quite easy to log on to On Line banking and to open further accounts On Line. Just last week I opened two new ISAs for me and my wife On Line. They already had all our details filled in on the applications and all I had to do was provide and confirm our NI numbers.

As you say, you have had a similar experience with your present bank with regards to not going into the branch, but there are certain things which they will not do remotely. For instance we had to go in when we changed our address.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

Housten

I hate to ruin your nationalistic rant, but RBS belongs mainly to you & I, and most others on this forum, as it's 83.18% owned by the Government.

Santander own the former Abbey National, Bradford & Bingley and Alliance & Leicester...

Like this post
uk-wizard

Likes # 0

Does this mean I dint exist .. can I stop paying tax then? They seem to think I am still alive.

Like this post
uk-wizard

Likes # 0

Does this mean I dint exist .. can I stop paying tax then? They seem to think I am still alive.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Quizman/alan14,

I, obviously, don't know where you have been living lately, BUT santander have bought - I believe - all the RBS branches in England and this will be completed later this year. We are with RBS because we were with a wonderful bank, Williams & Glyns, which was taken over by RBS and we only stayed because we are both Scots who were brought South by our parents and, personally, I have no trust in Santander running the branches in anything like an efficient manner, as has been reported on many, many foruns where the problems they create just keep growing. If you call this a 'nationalistic rant' then that is your choice, but please get your fact correct before writing. Just to be accurate I believe RBS sold 700 to 800 branches for something like £2.3Billion last summer so unless you can show otherwise - and the staff in my local branch of RBS told me the completion was this summer- I will not be staying with Santander. Does anyone really trust them?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The Royal Bank of Scotland Group has recently announced the sale to Santander of RBS branches in England and Wales and the NatWest branch network in Scotland more info and thisismoney has a link to branch list

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more