We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Site

Clapton is God
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having logged in to the new site yesterday and simply closed my browser when I'd finished I'm rather surprised to find that I'm still logged in today.

With the 'old' site, closing my browser meant I was automatically logged out.

Why the change (which I don't like)?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There used to be a tick box for staying logged in. I guess you did not have this ticked.

That now seems to have gone and everyone is automatically kept logged in unless you clear your cookies.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Just log out when you are finished.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

And another thing ......

It seems that I now receive an e-mail whenever someone replies to my threads.

There used to be an option to opt out of that. Where is that option in the new site?

And, whilst I'm on the subject - the new site is painfully slow - probably not helped by so many members now being PERMANENTLY logged in.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"the new site is painfully slow"

Really? That's not my experience - it's zipping along on my machines.

We're dealing with the email thing.

I suggest you take a look at the other threads about the site - you'll probably find we've already covered the ground.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

FE

"the new site is painfully slow. Really?"

Yes, really. I wouldn't have made the comment if that wasn't my experience. You haven't addressed the point I make about members being permanently (and unnecessarily) logged in.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the new site is very fast, just hard to connect its oops errors on chrome and ie9 only ff4 does not get the error

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wouldn't have made the comment if that wasn't my experience."

I appreciate that, but I was giving you my experience. The site runs fast on all my machines, and - so far - I have no reports of slow running from anyone else.

We're getting error messages, but that's down to teething problems, and will be resolved as soon as possible.

The login situation is also something we'll address very soon. Large numbers of people like being logged in automatically, but I appreciate that others - including you -don't. You're not "permanently logged in" of course, Your browser does it automatically each time you come to the site

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Nice and zippy on IE8 and FF3.6 so no complaints, there

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Clapton is God

If you are using IE9 and Tracking Protection then try disabling the sites in the list. Restart IE and this site runs a lot faster.

Like this post
Owl (@v@)

Likes # 0

"And, whilst I'm on the subject - the new site is painfully slow -"

Zipping along here on internet explorere and firefox. Except for the few error pages it has been very good the last couple of days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...