We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you like our new home?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 6

I've been out all day, and missed the launch, so a belated welcome from me. I hope you like the new look.

We are bound to need a couple of tweaks, and it would be good to hear what you think, but perhaps you could let me know via email, rather than starting a thread? Otherwise we'll end up with a batch of threads, and it may get confusing.

It's great to have a new site; I hope you'll enjoy using it, and perhaps join me in thanking the hard-working development team who put it all together - no mean feat with a site of this size and complexity.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 2

"No library of animated emotions for us to select from then...?"

No, and there will not be one. Not while I have breath in my body anyway.

We're going to look at the question of jumping to the first page on post.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 2

spider9

Your wisdom is as good as anyone else's when it comes to knowing what you like, and please don't think for a moment that we don't want criticism - it's precisely what we want. We can't run a forum without people, and it's only by listening to what you and others say that we'll get this right.

It was a pretty hectic weekend, and perhaps my nerves are a tad frazzled - I'll calm down after a Red Bull and a dose of 'Waking the dead'.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 2

Bingalau

"Contributors on here have been asking for change for a long time"

Some have maybe, but not me.

For what looks a lot like almost any other forum, so presumably just a premade one, its having an awful lot of problems. Apart from being able to use SOME HTML tags there's not an awful lot that's different other than not being so easy to use.

The rest of the site is OK but I suspect like me for most visitors the most important thing is the Forum. Every day so far I've had long periods when I get an Exception Error for hours on end when trying to access the site. For what has been promoted as an improved site there has obviously not been adequate in depth testing or this would have been found out at an early stage, after all it seems to have been found by several users, including me, almost immediately.

I'm afraid I'm with a number of other posters on this.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

That's more trouble than it's worth just to save you the bother.

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 1

I utterly dislike (amongst other things) the pointless new 'My Posts' style where every post I make (even if it's in the same thread) is shown.

I much preferred the old style where My Posts only showed each thread I'd posted to.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 1

It's been a while now, so why not simply hold a poll on the subject? Thumbs up or thumbs down!

WTM

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

Forum editor

I like the new look, it's clean and crisp and the ability to add formatting to posts although basic is welcome.

It would have been nice to have had the ability to edit posts, but I suppose we can't have everything.

On first impressions its a thumbs up from me!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 1

FE

I'm probably being thick, but you told Fruit Bat /\0/\ that, in order to resolve a thread, one should click the tick next to one's favourite answer.

I can't see any ticks. Do you mean the thumbs-up button?

I've tried one or two links that people have included - I find it a seriously retrograde step that hyperlinks no longer open in a separate tab.

Will there be an edit function? I've lost count of the number of times in the past that people have had to post twice - the second post correcting an error in the first.

I hope those don't sound like moans. I really like the overall look, and the new text formatting functions. I just think the above details would be the cherry on top!

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

I have to agree with many of the other posts on this. Seems that there should have been much more testing of the new site before it went live. There are multiple issues that need addressing.

1. No "my postings" page as yet. 2. Page formatting is all over the place at the moment. 3. Inability to reach the end of a thread without multiple clicks. 4. Site is unavailable for long periods. 5. Every time I try to add a line space the interface thinks I am writing a list!

Obviously there are going to be teething troubles with a new site, but it seems rather unprofessional to launch it in its currently very rocky state!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

Seems fine to me, so far. Easy to read and navigate. I was hoping for an "edit" facility for posts, which I think is long overdue.

Congratulations to all those putting in the hard work. I'll do my best to think of you all this weekend while I sit in the sun with a cold beer, or three!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'