We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you like our new home?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 6

I've been out all day, and missed the launch, so a belated welcome from me. I hope you like the new look.

We are bound to need a couple of tweaks, and it would be good to hear what you think, but perhaps you could let me know via email, rather than starting a thread? Otherwise we'll end up with a batch of threads, and it may get confusing.

It's great to have a new site; I hope you'll enjoy using it, and perhaps join me in thanking the hard-working development team who put it all together - no mean feat with a site of this size and complexity.

Like this post
WHTDSOB

Likes # 0

It looks much better, to me, in IE rather than firefox. It is improving all the time with the tweeks and I find it easier the more I use it. I am having difficulty in remembering what the old site looked like but I do have poor memory.

Testing for hyperlink link text

Like this post
WHTDSOB

Likes # 0

Like this post
ella33

Likes # 0

Hi, this is my first go so I don't know what's going to happen! I just turned on today and saw it, although it had been mentioned in the forums a few times before. I haven't tried the mobile site yet. All I can say there is that the old site had only recently started to work on my phone! But can only comment when I have had a chance to use it.

The forum seems clear and easier to read which is great. I didn't find a heading option but will try again sometime. I also noticed that the adverts don't seem to be taking over the page, as they used to, or is that just at the moment?

As for hyperlink, when I read ID Longshot, I needed to use the computer back button to return to the thread after looking at the picture. Is that correct or is there another way of doing it?

As for the "edit" comment, I love those forums which you can go back to your post and change it after someone has disagreed with you ;-D But those forums are disappearing.......

I tried the "like" on a couple of posts that I like but found that one post showed as -1 when I ticked it? Are we only allowed a limited number of "likes"? Or is there something I haven't read properly?

As an overall comment, it seems to have worked well, so congratulations to the team. Now let's see if I can post this!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I see that the default ON for email confirmations every time you make a post has been reversed pretty damn quickly. Has even the PCA staff been bombarded with notification emails?

Also, on the new post creation page, I don't see if there's an option over that without starting a new thread just to see. And I don't think with all the attention on looking for the glitches that we're ready for discussing the advantages of on the vine tomatoes Vs the tinned varieties...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Colours

Another small idiosyncrasy, and I stress, not a moan, just a note of interest.

As I’ve posted before, although Chrome is my browser of choice, I use Firefox for this site because I have trouble with colours and FF lets me choose my own.

With the new site, if I uncheck “Allow Pages to Use Their .Own Colours” in Options, I lose the all the forum and formatting icons.

No big deal as it’s easy to get them back, or use Word, just, as I said, a matter of interest.

Incidentally, for those of you complaining about the amount of white, unticking the “Colour” option allows you to choose any one of 70 colours, in both IE and FF, from a delicate cerise to a lurid scarlet!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

morddwyd Where do you alter that in Firefox? I can't see the obvious, if it is:)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Another annoyance is that when you post, you're directed back to the opening page of the thread. The old set up just refreshed the end of the thread page.

I'd better take the dogs out or I'll remain in moan mode all day:)

Just a quickie first though. No library of animated emotions for us to select from then...?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 2

"No library of animated emotions for us to select from then...?"

No, and there will not be one. Not while I have breath in my body anyway.

We're going to look at the question of jumping to the first page on post.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've just come to the conclusion that as well as being too much white space, that the width of the column is too much. It would make it easier to read if it were about the same width as the pages on a Kindle? Maybe it's because of the width of my computer screen, but I don't think so. I am wondering how the size is squeezed on to a mobile phone? Maybe I am too fussy but I normally just use my eyes when Reading a page in a book, but with this I have to move my head. Too much exercise for lazy old me!!!

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Nice and clean but IMHO too much white space between individual messages. I'm all for readability but I think you've overdone it slightly and, as a result, threads become very long (in term of number of pages) becuase you can only get three of four messages per page.

If you insist on keeping this spacing, I strongly suggest that when you open a thread, cos you show the OP anyway, you should always default to the last page so the people don't have to do this manually.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...