We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you like our new home?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 6

I've been out all day, and missed the launch, so a belated welcome from me. I hope you like the new look.

We are bound to need a couple of tweaks, and it would be good to hear what you think, but perhaps you could let me know via email, rather than starting a thread? Otherwise we'll end up with a batch of threads, and it may get confusing.

It's great to have a new site; I hope you'll enjoy using it, and perhaps join me in thanking the hard-working development team who put it all together - no mean feat with a site of this size and complexity.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 1

FE

I'm probably being thick, but you told Fruit Bat /\0/\ that, in order to resolve a thread, one should click the tick next to one's favourite answer.

I can't see any ticks. Do you mean the thumbs-up button?

I've tried one or two links that people have included - I find it a seriously retrograde step that hyperlinks no longer open in a separate tab.

Will there be an edit function? I've lost count of the number of times in the past that people have had to post twice - the second post correcting an error in the first.

I hope those don't sound like moans. I really like the overall look, and the new text formatting functions. I just think the above details would be the cherry on top!

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Yes - of course I'm being thick! The ticks presumably appear only to the OP!

I've typed and posted this second post twice - the first time it didn't appear. Is it forbidden to post twice consecutively?

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"I didn't think that voting for a post's popularity was PCA's sort of thing." Me neither !

"The opening post being on every page of replies is a good idea, sometimes after trawling through a long thread, you'd for get what the original post wording was." Agreed but it takes a bit of getting used to seeing the original post at the top of every page of that particular thread !

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Dealing with the edit enquiry....

We're not going to have a post-edit facility because it creates problems in a general discussion forum if people can go back and alter their text in a fast-moving discussion - I'm sure you can see why.

You have some word processing tools now, and the spell-checker in your browser should take care of that problem.

If you want to alter a word or phrase after you've posted you can email me, and I'll do it for you - I'm now able to edit your posts very rapidly and easily on my screen. This will also enable me to remove anything which breaks a forum rule.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Octal, it appears to have been fixed since I wrote that post (or maybe there was just a temporary glitch at my end!).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

On a long Thread, it would be useful to be able to go directly to the "last page" rather than in 5 page jumps.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

I note that there are lots of Bleater's about.

Give it time

Am sure that if I can get used to it at 75 years old, you yung'uns can get used to it. It will have problems bugs, at first and as FE said above there was lots of complainers when it was changed many moons ago, but you may have been in your crib then

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

yes I like it, initially a surprise but it seems easy to navigate - well done.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Why was the changeover done on a Friday? Not unexpectedly there are some glitches - inability to repost without exiting thread, time of post, too much white, etc but all too frequently I am unable to access the site as I get Oops Exception Encountered. I feel sorry for those who have to work over a weekend to fix it or perhaps we're stuck until Monday or later.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wee eddie

We're going to look into that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'