We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you like our new home?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 6

I've been out all day, and missed the launch, so a belated welcome from me. I hope you like the new look.

We are bound to need a couple of tweaks, and it would be good to hear what you think, but perhaps you could let me know via email, rather than starting a thread? Otherwise we'll end up with a batch of threads, and it may get confusing.

It's great to have a new site; I hope you'll enjoy using it, and perhaps join me in thanking the hard-working development team who put it all together - no mean feat with a site of this size and complexity.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Gonna wait until it's settled down I think. Hopefully a lot of the white space will disappear

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 1

I like the new forum layout and I especially like the addition of the bold and italic text.

An added bonus for me is the ability to vote for a post that you like !

Well done PCA.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

I didn't think that voting for a post's popularity was PCA's sort of thing.

The opening post being on every page of replies is a good idea, sometimes after trawling through a long thread, you'd for get what the original post wording was. Is that a subtle hint to stop deviating?

I'll sit with it a while 'til I get used to it before saying much more.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm finding it slower to navigate to the newest/last post of a thread.

It would be a lot easier if the last response 'nine minutes ago' hyperlink took you straight to the last response post instead of the same post beginning as the post title hyperlink, which is only only the left hand side a few inches away.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I know I last read this thread at 20.20 on 08/04 and anything since then is new.

Used to be easy.

Now I have to take eleven hours off the current time, convert to 24 hour clock and go from there.

It might be progress I suppose!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I agree with Quickbeam about it being slower to navigate through threads and because there are not so many recent threads under each heading it is also slower to find a recent thread. Currently I am findinding that Chrome takes exception (pun intended) to the site on a regular basis although I can get here with Firefox. Must also remember to untick the 'subscribe to replies' or my inbox fills up quite rapidly.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

canarieslover

I agree, I think the tick should be reversed so that you have to tick if you want to subscribe, I've forgotten a couple of times and it's a pain to have an avalanche of unwanted emails. At the end of the day this is just window dressing, I'm sure it will improve as time goes on.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Any chance of posting a "Help Thread"?

With explanations of how to use the new options correctly. i.e. how to resolve threads? how do you contact someone privately?

I seemed to have pinned a thread to the top of the page and cannot unpin it. What is the question mark for, I can't seem to make it work?

Help.....

:0)

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

As a long time user, then lurker, I have used this site as my home page for a while. This upgrade is truely first class. I think it is excellent and congratulations to all involved. Well done.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I'm actually working on a little help thread right now. It will be here, in Speakers Corner at some point over the weekend.

Meanwhile...

You can't pin a thread to the top of the page - I think what's confusing you is that you see your original thread starting post at the top of every page of responses. It's there so people don't have to keep turning back to the first post each time they want to check what was said.

You can resolve a thread by clicking on a tick next to the response that you think best addresses your original post. I know that won't always be as relevant here, in Speakers Corner as it will be in other forum areas, but work with it for the time being.

How do you contact someone privately? You don't, at the moment.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks