We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Oil Tank Sight-Glass - graduations?

onthelimit

Likes # 0

I've just had a new plastic oil tank installed. It is cylindrical and lying on its side. It contains 1200 ltrs when full. The sight glass has no markings. I can cope with the half way mark being 600 ltrs, but my maths skills don't help with a few others (useful for ordering the max amount each time to keep the price down). The diameter is 88cm. Can any of those of you good with sums help me get a few more markings on the guage, please? Thanks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The volume of a cylinder is ? r squared h, where pi is about 3.142, and the radius is 44cm.Heiht is as you measure to where the top of the oil is at 1200l.
You should be able to calculate the rest.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

the ? above was meant to be the pi symbol, but it did not paste correctly!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

can you not mark the halfway point, subdivide both sides of it into convenient portions and mark them?

If you divide each half into halves, and then subdivide those you'll end up with 8 graduations representing 75 litres each.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I assumed that the sight glass is a vertical glass cylinder.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

As mentioned in the first post, the tank is a cylinder lying on its side, therefore the end where the sight glass is situated is a circle. Half is easy, but the rest is not easily dividable (if there is such a word).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I was confused by your original post. You said that the tank was cylindrical and on its side, but you didn't mention that the sight glass was set into one end. Tanks often have vertical glass cylinders as sight glasses, and I made the wrong assumption.

Like this post
onthelimit

Likes # 0

..but what's the answer?

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

It’s all about calculating volumes which I think is obvious. You can either divide it evenly and have a idea of what each mark refers to volume wise, I think you need equaled out in volumes . The formula to use is (Angle AOB / 360 deg ) x Pie x r squared. O being center point and A,B being where the triangle meet the radius giving a parallel line across the tank. I will do an Excel sheet at lunch time if I have time.

Noldi

Like this post
bri-an

Likes # 0

Think you might need the area of segment AB of the circle(major or minor, whichever direction you intend to graduate), as opposed to the sector that you are proposing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you haven't used it yet, you could use water to make your graduations on the sight glass as you measure it in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added