We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Book Recommendations

Woolwell

Likes # 0

In a couple of weeks time I have 2 long haul flights and would like a book(s) to read in intervals between interuptions on the plane and whilst away.
Don't mind fact or fiction but find many book shelves seem to have books aimed at the female market and I want one for male reader - sorry if that sounds sexist.
This forum has a wide range of taste and I wonder if there are any recommendations?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

click here
Is this the sort of thing that might interest you, it looks quite absorbing?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

That looks interesting - thanks.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Any Bernard Cornwall Sharpe series. Just reading the collection again. 5th time
Dale Brown ex US Airforce First book was flight of the Old Dog and I have all his.
Tom Clancey Writer of Hunt For Red October and many others. But do not get any of the co-writteen books. Very poor.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Quick skim through the blurb on "Great Quotations" etc includes "Famous Last Words".Don't think I would take that on a flight... my favourite author is Neville Shute, Trustee From The Toolroom, or Town Like Alice, if you haven't already read them.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

Think as well as read

The Philosophy Gym - Stephen Law

click here

click here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've read some of the Sharpe books and also those by Alexander Kent about Bolitho a naval hero which are similar. Tom Clancy is an interesting writer and have read some of his books before.
The Philosophy Gym that might take some thought - interesting suggestion.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Robert Goddard.

Always excellently written and brilliantly plotted, and they they are novels they seem to all have been well researched in term of the historical elements that they all contain. They are all different, and cover different eras, touching back several centuries and going up to the present. They're in no particular chronological order, and, except for a couple, (Out of the blue; Into the Sun), are unreleated to one another.

click here

I'd say "Take no Farewell" is probably my favourite.

Try one. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson, I would highly recommend, if a bit of make believe is in your repertoire.

Like this post
Jim Thing

Likes # 0

Anything by John le Carré, especially his George Smiley cold-war espionage novels. Riveting, beautifully written, and not a whizz-bang shoot-em-up in sight.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

James Michener does some good tomes, really long sagas, and an interesting read but not so riveting that you'll miss the drinks trolley!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: Apple's new iPhone is bigger, better & faster than ever before