We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strictly Come Dancing phone voting

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 1

I've been having a look on the bbc's website for some actual numbers of the public phone in voting for strictly come dancing in the light of recent results and have failed to come up with anything. Does anyone know where such figures might be found?

I'm not suggesting any impropiety, its just that in light of recent scandals involving phone ins to tv programmes it seems a little odd not to publish the numbers (if indeed they aren't)

WTM

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

Strictly Come Dancing has become a complete farce. One of the worst contestants ever went through without even ending up in the dance off.

The judges showed that they did not agree with the result but had to put up with what the good old general public wanted. Since when has most of the public known anything about dancing anyway?

I don`t think such things should be put to a vote of the general public but left to a panel of judges who at least have some idea what they are talking about.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

"I don`t think such things should be put to a vote of the general public but left to a panel of judges who at least have some idea what they are talking about."

But seeing as the only point of this program is to raise money for Children In Need that would mean they raise no money at all.

I agree with WhiteTruckMan, the vote counts should be revealed on the Sunday program. I'm pretty sure someone tried to get these figures via the Freedom Of Information act, I don't know how successful they were though...

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

It's an entertainment. John Sergeant is entertaining (and his partner is simply delicious).

He won't actually win, and all the best dancing couples are getting through - so there's no need to be so stuffy about it.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

"....in light of recent scandals involving phone ins to tv programmes it seems a little odd not to publish the numbers...."

And just what would the numbers tell you that the results don't?

Nothing.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

DieSse.

At the end of the day...series... only three couples will reach the final. If the one that the judges consider, all along, to be the worst of the lot, gets to the final, this will make a farce of the whole thing...

Like this post
Spark6

Likes # 0

I don't watch the programme but Mrs spark6 is an avid fan and was up in arms over the latest result. I've been playing devil's advocate and using the entertainment argument but she's not having it. Why do folk get so involved and upset over something which is intended to entertain viewers?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

No it won't, because it's the public that's voting.

What was a farce was Rick Astley winning the "Best Act Ever" category at the recent MTV Europe awards click here ,a perfect example of why no one should even think about bringing in internet voting...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is to entertain, and the viewing public is obviously entertained by the thought of someone who isn't exactly a good dancer getting through round after round of the 'competition'.

Some of the judges take themselves far too seriously, and it's a delight to see the audience using votes in this way. There's absolutely no reason why the actual voting figures should be published - they would tell you nothing that the results haven't already told you, and they might increase the embarrassment of those who received extremely low numbers of votes.

Like this post
DieSse

Likes # 0

"....a perfect example of why no one should even think about bringing in internet voting..."

No it isn't - it's why internet ONLY voting is flawed.

A system that allowed voting by many means would have to be more convenient, and more likely to reach a fairer result.

Clearly the whole process of tallying the votes would need redesigning and safeguarding though.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

No, any electronic voting equipment attached to a network has vulnerabilities that make it unsuitable for public voting, yes it can be made very safe, but I don't trust any government with that job...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers