We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tinned tomatoes...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I went to the co-op for the above to make a lasagna and found they had a load of cans with a Sept 08 date for only 10p. So I bought 48 cans (2 cases). They won't go off for years yet... Whoopee!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I buy mine from Lidl - 14p is the normal price, so I don't have to buy a bootful...

Like this post
Stuartli

Likes # 0

That news has really made my day.....:-)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

They may do. Tinned tomatoes are one of the few things that are acidic enough to eat through the lacquer on the inside of the tin allowing the juice to come into contact with the metal and corrode it. Strangely enough another member of the same plant family does the same thing - potatoes!

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

OK, let's get this really interesting thread moving along.

I've never bought 48 cans of tinned baked beans because they make you f*** a lot.

Next post, please ...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Tinned tomatoes are one of those things that are just as good in the economy packs as in the expensive branded packs.
I saw a TV documentary a while back where sweetcorn was being packed into cans on a huge scale. The interesting thing was that all the cans were stacked in the warehouse unlabelled and the labels were only applied when they were sent out to customers. In other words all brands were the same apart from the labels. I stongly suspect that the same thing happens to tomatoes.

A little tip. If you are buying to make sauces buy the chopped tomatoes. They might cost a couple of pence more but there isn't so much juice - you get more tomato for your pennies!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

with bated breath tonight.

Like this post
Coffee Adict

Likes # 0

I remember my mother telling me that the whole family suffered food poisoning just after the war and a can of tinned tomatoes was the cause. I know techniques have improved since then, but do be careful. Might I suggest a day of lasagna and bolognese making for freezing may be in order.

Like this post
Si_L

Likes # 0

I'm sure 'fart' is an acceptable word on these forums. Don't want to mislead people do we? ;)

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

What makes you think it was fart?

It could have been 'fast' ;-))

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

what can you do with 48 cans i know become a tomatoe head or be canned or not to be canned king of the cans

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback