We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

anybody wear glasses with a prism?

adman 2

Likes # 0

hello, i started wearing glasses two years ago, to solve a recurring headache problem, i wore them for two days and put them in a drawer. headaches are getting worse, i'm now 40 so went back to optician. my problem is my right eye suffered a nasty injury many years ago and seems weaker than the other.
anyway the results were my right eye isnt moving focus and the left eye is doing all my close up work, when you wear that device that reads the letters it was very obvious something had worsened.
so glasses made picked up today they have anti glare and a 'prism' have no idea what this does but they told me it would seem odd for a few days...odd? it's terrifying! my monitor seems crystal clear as long as i don't move my head if i look away it's as if one eye sees the screen and the other is running behind it to catch up, my right eye appears blurry until it settles on whatever im looking at.
anybody any experience with these prisms? does this go away? it's similar to an experience i used to get in the 90's but that was all paid for and a thing of the past.
tia.

Like this post
Chris the Ancient

Likes # 0

I've worn specs since I was about 8 (many years ago). And I am _extremely_ myopic (short-sighted). My glasses tended to resemble some of those comedy glasses that you see people wearing on TV.

When high-index glass first came out, I changed to those for cosmetic reasons - they looked less like bottle bottoms. But, they had a peculiar effect on verticals near the edge of my vision. These verticals had one heck of a curve to them. That wore off.

Then, as my eyes got older, my close vision deteriorated (the equivalent of needing reading glasses for those with good eyes). As I did close, mid and long-range work, I went for varifocals - to heck with the cost! It also took a while to get used to them. I used to want to fall down stairs because I couldn't focus on them properly. That wore off as I learned to 'use' my eyes and glasses to suit.

Prismatic distortion tends to be that one eye is not looking in the exact line as the other, so a prismatic correction is applied to the lens to cure this. When I first had this done, I used to suffer from the same symptoms as you appear to be getting.

So, I would say, stick with it for a couple of more weeks - and try not to use your old glasses as that 'confuses' the eyes. The eyes should learn to adapt - but it isn't an instantaneous thing. On average, I tend to take about three weeks to get used to a change of specs.

CtA

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

very helpful Chris thank you, it 'feels' like my eyes are working differently, the lenses are quite small, smaller than my last pair, which i never wore anyway. if i look away from my (much clearer) screen out the window i can see distance too much better, it just takes about 2 seconds to get there!
im back at work tomorrow after nearly a month off so im dreading it anyway, but will try to wear these all day im just hoping and prying they don't make matters worse in the short term.
thanks for the reply.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If they are ordinary glasses for reading and watching TV or long distance.They are probably not right for using on your computer,You probably need another pair just for computer use.measure how far your head is from your screen when working on your computer and your optician will test your eyes from that distance.

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

hi buteman, they are just for computer use. the last pair were too. i don't have problems seeing things i just get really bad migraine like headaches. to be honest i'm not sure it is my eyes. but i spend all day at work staring at screens and then come home and er stare at more pc screens.
they have altered the lighting for me at work which helped a little. i use 2 19" screens at work just below eye level and a little more than arms length away (i have very long arms) and a 24" widescreen in a similar position at home with a 21" slightly behind and lower than it.
i would probably benefit with getting out more!

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Specs of any type can take a while to get used to, I usually have new specs every two or three years and I hate getting them because I know that they are going to annoy me till I get used to them, but my advice is to persevere as they will be of great benefit in the long run.

Like Chris the Ancient I also have varifocals and have had quite a few pairs. They are more expensive but I find them much better than bifocals. They certainly take a bit of getting used to and when I got my first pair the optician warned me that flat surfaces could at first look as if they were slanted and she advised to wear them about the house for a couple of days to get used to them, of course being a man I ignored the advice and the minute I left the shop I swapped my old pair for the untried varifocals, and as the optician warned the pavement did indeed look as if it was on a slope, also steps seemed to disappear.

When I got on the bus to come home I went to the rear of the bus, this involved going up a 9inch step about three quarters of the way up the bus, no problem there, the problem came when I was getting off the bus, so with my mind elsewhere I proceeded of the bus, next thing I knew I went my full length on the bus floor, the varifocals had conspired to make the step disappear and down I went.

I didn't wear them again till I was used to them and the strange disappearing step syndrome had gone.

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

disappearing step syndrome does sound very hazardous! and why do we never fall over where there are no on-lookers? by getting used to these, as they are for the pc, i suppose im best to wear them today, i wonder if im meant to remove them when i am doing other things like making tea? or keep them on all the time?
they did try to sell me a second pair for distance but, i didn't buy them.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Some years back, I woke up one morning with double-vision, very frightening ! Hospital consultant stuck a type of prism lens on the front of my glasses and told me not to worry, my sight would return to normal after about 2 or 3 months.( a blood vessel had ruptured). During the recovery period it was necessary to re-learn how to look at the world. Any sharp sideways movement of the head would send me reeling, I had to do everything in slow motion. So adman2, take it easy and things will improve with time and the brain will eventually learn to adjust to the new glasses. Good luck......

Like this post
adman 2

Likes # 0

thanks for all the advice guys. i hardly know i have them on now, apart from the small lenses causing a slight problem. i now get the can't focus thing when i take them off! so i guess something's changing. another thing to lug around everywhere i go i suppose. been trying to see a prism (as i understand it) and they look like regular glasses to me, anyway thanks again.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you have them made specifically for computer work.They will be no good for anything else and you will get headaches.When you switch off the computer you should then wear your normal glasses.I have Verifocals which I use normally and can't use them when working on my computer or I end up with a stiff neck and sore eyes.Maybe if you are still young enough you might think about changing your line of work.Or just win the lottery and retire.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback