We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

G.M. agriculture.

Cymro.

Likes # 0

click here

So the government want a debate on genetically-modified (GM) crops. This forum may well be a good place for such a debate although I suspect it has been debated here before.

My personal view has always been that the anti-science lobby has rather hijacked the subject by feeding us their own propaganda on the matter.

In my opinion GM agriculture is the way forward for a world that needs to be able to produce as much food as possible. With GM crops now being grown in ever larger amounts in many overseas countries the genie is now out of the bottle and the biggest risk to us is that the UK will be left behind in what could be a the most vital scientific breakthrough of the millennium.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I suppose you and carver believe MMR causes autism/

THIS IS ONE SUBJECT I DO KNOW ABOUT.

My son was 14 months old, a very happy little chappy, talking, walking, playing, very nearly out of Nappy's, he then had the MMR, THIS PUT HIM IN HOSPITAL, he was in for 4 days with a severe reaction to the measles part of the vaccine, how do I know, because my son was part of the group action and when the hospital records were divulged as part of the action the only virus/ bacteria that showed up was the measles vaccine.

My son now has what is called Regressive Autism , heard of that, when he came out of hospital he could no longer walk, talk, play or do anything apart from sit and scream.

And if your user name is any thing to go by you will know that the MMR has caused at least one death that was linked to directly to the vaccine.

So please don't expect mr to trust some one when they say "I know best". And don't start talking about research into the subject, the only research done was over 10 years ago and every bit of paper that has come out since them has just been s rehash of that document.

Like this post
jakimo

Likes # 0

"Farmers indulging in unnatural practises with their cattle"

Are you sure about that?,I always that it was with their sheep

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Thanks for bringing a bit of humour back into this thread.

Like this post
laurie53

Likes # 0

"doesn't follow that by doing so you will cause human CJD.

I suppose you and carver believe MMR causes autism?"

I did say "probably". It doesn't follow that it doesn't either.

I don't know why you should bring MMR into the discussion, or why you should think you know my views om it.

The whole MMR scare was down to one discredited member of your profession, picked up and blown out of all proportion by the press.

BSE, on the contrary, is fairly well researched and documented, though I accept your point about CJD, however, though not yet statistically significant, there are some coincidences beginning to show up.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I thought Thalidomide was prescribed for morning sickness, sometimes associated with being pregnant, not really surprising that it was given to women in that condition then was it.

Like this post
DrScott

Likes # 0

carver - I obviously cannot comment on your particular experience which sounds harrowing to say the least. Nonetheless, whilst all vaccines pose an allergy risk, there is no convincing evidence beyond the anecdotal that it causes autism. Despite Dr Wakefield's sensationalist research, epidemiological evidence suggests that the MMR vaccine is safe and little exists to suggest a link to autism. However, the lack of uptake of the MMR vaccine is almost certainly responsible for click here

laurie - the reason I brought MMR to the fray was to illustrate firstly that the evidence for a causality to autism was not dissimilar to that for BSE, and secondly to raise a second point about the way in which people interpret science. It often seems that many people are happy to use very poor scientific research to dismiss such things as GM crops and MMR, whilst not appreciating much of considerably less interesting but better research involved with their development and implementation.

Grey Goo: my understanding was that thalidomide was primarily a sedative drug which also had anti-emetic properties. In fact it's actually a very safe drug in these respects. Tragically, its effects on the first trimester fetus were not appreciated.

Science cannot predict everything, but we should approach the subject rationally without assuming that greedy corporations will destroy the world and reveling in poor sensationalist research.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

that autism was around long before the MMR vaccine was introduced. It was first identified in 1943, and there were many cases before MMR vaccine was introduced in 1988.

There's evidence to suggest that the number of parents blaming MMR as a cause of autism rose after Wakefield published his research in 1997 ( research that has subsequently been widely discredited). Before that, far fewer parents blamed the vaccine.

The age at which children are diagnosed with autism has been falling since 1985, and in February of this year research published in the Archives of Disease in Childhood found no evidence of any abnormal biological response from MMR that could point to a link between the vaccine and autism. This was the largest study so far, and according to The UK Health Protection Agency "The evidence is now so solid there really isn't a need for further studies here."

A different study in Argentina, funded by the US government, also came to the conclusion that there's nothing to suggest a link between thimerosal and autism in childre.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

GM has been in use for years in US with no problem and is a small help in world production of food. The big and unsolvable problem is population growth and only China seems willing to even try to tackle it. Supply of food is increasingly unlikely to meet the ever growing demand - but how we solve this I do not know. At least as much "Aid" money should be spent on birth control as food aid.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes