We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wind Chimes, love them or hate them

countryboy

Likes # 0

Wind Chimes, love them or hate them, I heat them and currently my life is being ruined by wind chimes in my neighbour's garden. I have been through the local council route and they tell me that unless the noise can be classified as a statutory nuisance they have very limited power other than to ask him take them down at night. I find it hard to comprehend that people are allowed to blight other people's lives in this way, If they played music in there garden all day I am sure they would be forced to stop it, but wind chime, they can do as they please, talk about the classic Chinese water torture. There seems to be no way to stop this noise pollution at the moment, so may be it's time that a legal way be found for it to be stopped. I have no idea how this could be bought into existence, but I am sure there are thousands and thousands of people up and down the country who would be very pleased if something could be done.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Have you spoken to your neighbour?

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Two of my neighbours have them, but they don't really bother me. Just a sign of very sad people I think. Have you got any scissors?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

By heck, they must be hellishly big to produce a sound so terrible it has prompted you to complain about them!

I have a few small ones hanging in my car-port and, I have to say they sound very melodic and soothing in any wind. I made a point of asking my immediate neighbour if they were a nuisance and I was assured most emphatically that they were not.

I much rather hear wind chimes, however discordant,then screaming kids or barking dogs or blinkng high powered lawnmowers/strimmers.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

"Just a sign of very sad people I think"

Quite a bold statement - I am certainly not sad, and I do not think the suggestion of using scissors was particularly intelligent!

Like this post
countryboy

Likes # 0

Yes, I have spoken to my neighbour about them, and he made it very clear to me what he thought of my concerns by hanging them as close to the boundry as possible, if only my neighbrour was like youes Brumas they I would be a very happy man.

Like this post
Kate B

Likes # 0

I'm not keen on them and I'm sympathetic - a noise that annoys you can quickly become intolerable even if others don't find it so. I'm not sure there's much you can do, though.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

if he won't listn to reason and has placed it clos to your boarder to annoy you then HOT UP THE WAR.

Tit for Tat is the only option available to you.

Get one of those annoying windmills that drive a man chopping wood and let it clatter away drowning out the windchimes.

Or build a Bamboo "Aeolian-Organ" click here

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

and as we stood around the grave I heard the sound of windchimes in a nearby tree. It was a pleasant sound in a graveyard, but I think it might drive me slightly loopy if I had to listen to it day and night.

A noise nuisance doesn't have to be loud - it just has to be a nuisance. What defines a noise nuisance as 'statutory' - did your council tell you? A neighbour that makes a point of hanging windchimes next to a boundary when told someone finds them irritating is not the kind that anyone would want to have.

I'm not sure the answer is to retaliate in any way, that would simply put the hostilities on an official footing. If you got nowhere by talking to neighbour or council you might consider writing a letter to the neighbour, making your point in a non-confrontational way. "I hate to whinge, and I quite like windchimes now and then, but unfortunately yours are pretty irritating, especially at night. Do you think you could see your way clear to agreeing some sort of compromise - maybe we could chat about it?"

Often a letter is better than a face to face situation - it enables people to think before responding, and it reinforces the point. Someone who receives a friendly letter has to be pretty hard-faced to ignore it. On the other hand, if it is ignored you've lost nothing, and you have a record of your request, should it ever come to anything official.

Apart from that, I recommend earplugs at night.

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I am not sure tit-for-tat is the way to go that will only make things worse.

As Ghandi once said "an eye for an eye until the whole world ends up blind."

Like this post
countryboy

Likes # 0

Yes I have thought of tit for tat but realised that it would make a bad situation worse. I have tried to talk with him but go told he could do whatever he liked in his own garden. So I tried mediation services, but he will not enter into any discussion, so where do I go from here,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks