We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Better than Adobe Reader?

Pesala

Likes # 0

I recently discovered PDF-XChange Viewer via a post on the Open Office forums. This free PDF reader can be downloaded from: click here

A day is not long enough to test a new product thoroughly, but so far I like it immensely, and have not discovered any problems yet. It looks like a much better solution than Foxit Reader,

It has an innovative viewer called a "loupe" that opens a resizable zoom window. This is easier to use than the dynamic zoom tool.

It also allows you to highlight text, and add text and graphics to PDF files, which is sometimes very handy.

I have already assigned it as my default PDF viewer.

If you haven't tried it yet, do take a look. I think it deserves to become more popular than Adobe Reader.

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

I liked it so much I took the trouble to write a short review of the main features. click here to read it.

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

This quote is taken from the help file for PDF-Xchange free PDF Viewer:

"And then ... for some reason only known to Adobe, they decided that some functionality would be available to users of their free Adobe Reader only if they used a product officially 'certified' this functionality to do so by Adobe - all competing software applications would now have to apply to Adobe for a certificate or the new functionality would not be possible with files made by competing and 'non' certified PDF creation and manipulation tools.

Suddenly the 'Open' PDF format was not so open and it is our concern that Adobe will continue to extend this in the future to regain some degree of control over who can create software with the ability to offer advanced PDF creation and manipulation functionality - whereas in the past the primary reason for the success of this standard format has been the fact that any software company has been free to create products for the purpose without interference from any party - including Adobe."

What effect do these restrictions have on other products that create PDF files? Are there security risks associated with opening PDF files form uncertified PDF file creation products?

It seems that this policy was enough to make this software vendor spend two years developing their Free PDF Viewer.

Whatever the reasons, I am glad they did. They have produced a first class product that seems thus far to be better than Adobe Reader.

Like this post
GroupFC

Likes # 0

Thank you - I am bookmarking this to have a more detailed look when I get home tonight!

Like this post
Monoux

Likes # 0

me too -- bookmarked

Like this post
flyboy

Likes # 0

Thanks, Will have a look

Like this post
bretsky

Likes # 0

Thanx very much for your link, just downloaded and installed and made it my default reader, it's got a great search facility and also you can send straight to email which fires up Thunderbird....brilliant!!

Oh yes, almost forgot, got new version of Print screen (4.1)which I always use...thanx again!

bretsky ;0)

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

Like this post
bretsky

Likes # 0

So good that I have uninstalled Adobe v8, perhaps you should post this in the helproom Pesala, I'm sure people will make the change!

bretsky ;0)

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

Like this post
Probabilitydrive

Likes # 0

Excellent replacement for Adobe. More features, good support, very comprehensive product.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK