We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

chip and pin

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Since we have all had to use our pin numbers with our cards now I have noticed something that has given me pause for thought. I stick my card in the machine and when prompted (after a quick look to check that no-one is looking over my shoulder)enter my pin, followed by the enter button. This is is always followed immediately by some confirmation that it is the correct number. then there is a pause while (seemingly) the card is validated. This makes me wonder if my pin is actually stored in some way on the card itself, being accessed so quickly. makes me wonder just how secure it is. especially as I can go to the card paying fast lane at my local supermarket forecourt and get petrol just by inserting my card, without even entering a pin on the pump.

WTM

Like this post
Monument

Likes # 0

Chip 'n Pin is already showing it's benefits in cutting fraud. click here

13% in a ear when it was not widely used is a good start.

Like this post
Monument

Likes # 0

ear = year

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Monument, indeed, that is a very good start, lol

Like this post
squillary

Likes # 0

Just back from Spain, I used my card at a "Duty Free" shop in the airport... and they asked me to sign. They had no equipment whatsoever.

I was mildly disappointed.

Like this post
kindly

Likes # 0

I was caught out once with my credit card. i believe it was cloned somewhere in my home town. at one of the machines. I only used it at a machine and never to buy anything in a shop. The credit card company did their checks and after a few months all money over the period in question was returned to the account. good on the card company. Anyway, on another card i had a very high credit so i used it to pay for something of real value. After a couple of hours and a long shopping day later i was home. The card company phoned to ask if i was using the card to buy something expensive. Thing is the card was accepted at the time but only after i got the goods and home did they phone. so what use was that. Still the info on this thread is good to read.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014