We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My apologies for the confusion

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

over the new launch. Things aren't always as simple to do as they might seem, and my grateful thanks are due to Oliver Dell, who got the forum online while I spent today working away from London.

Speakers corner will shortly appear in your forum list at the top left of the pages, and the references to the Newsroom will vanish - bear with us whilst the necessary coding work is completed. I thought it was better to get going with this sooner rather than later, so blame me for the glitches.

A quick word about how we should manage things here might be appropriate:-

1. As in the other forum areas I'll delete anything that contains unacceptable words - even if you do attempt to disguise them with asterisks or other symbols. It will happen no matter how many responses there have been to a thread, and there'll be no explanations or warnings.

2. If you post anything that expresses racial or religious bias or intolerance it will be deleted, and your forum registration may be cancelled without notice.

4. Sexist remarks are not acceptable, and neither are dubious jokes, or links to sites with similar content. Humour is a very personal thing, and it's easy to step over the line between what is acceptable and what isn't. Threads full of jokes ( usually entitled "A little light relief") are out of place here.

5. Personal abuse directed at other forum users or any third party will not be tolerated, and may result in your immediate exclusion from our forum.

6. Libellous comments or statements will be deleted without warning or explanation, and our decision about what is or may be libellous will be final.

I hope you'll forgive me for labouring those points, but many of you will understand how necessary it is to have clearly defined rules of conduct. We may as well start as we intend to go on, and if we all stick to these commonsense conditions we'll be able to relax and enjoy the discussions in peace. We hope that you'll find this forum an interesting addition to the site, and that you'll make Speakers Corner a regular haunt. Please don't hesitate to contact me (or post to this thread) if you have any problems with what I've said.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

Fully understod FE.

And let the games commence!

Like this post
Peverelli

Likes # 0

Where's number 3? ;-)

Is this board for general 'debate' or just PC related?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I look forward to it. We've seen many thousands of threads between us over the years, but I'm sure we're both good for a few more.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Well, at the top of the Forum it says:

"Do you have a bee in your bonnet about something loosely connected with computers or computing, or anything that makes the digital world tick? Is it something that might interest us all? Tell us about it here, and find out what other forum users think. Feel free to air your personal opinions but remember that our forum code of conduct applies. We'll delete without warning any posts which overstep the mark.

Individual problems with suppliers or requests for advice about hardware/software purchases should continue to be posted in our Consumerwatch section."

And when I wrote that I was kind of hoping it would be self-explanatory.

Like this post
Peverelli

Likes # 0

Sorry FE, I came straight to this page through a link - so missed the preamble on the "front page".
You're correct, it is self-explanatory.

Let the (hopefully good-natured) fun begin.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

what would life be without them?

Like this post
Pesala

Likes # 0

would be hard to swallow.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

The rules of engagement I would have thought go without saying.

I have not been around much lately this is due to work commitment. I do log in but very rarely get chance to look at many threads. I am hoping after my Hols at the end of the month I will be able to have time [and assistants] to give a little more time to the proceedings.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Unfortunately the rules of engagement - as you call them - do not go without saying, and Undoubtedly there will be some people who will ignore them completely. It's happened in the past, and I imagine it'll happen again. By laying out some ground-rules I'm hoping that everyone can see that we're not prepared to put up with any inappropriate behaviour here.

I'm sure we'll be fine, once the forum gets going.

Like this post
sgtdibble

Likes # 0

Your apology is accepted FE I for one was a little confused when I clicked newsroom and got an index for all forums. Having said that I still think PCA forum is the best long may go on ---Tom>>>

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide