We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FrontPage 2002 Permissions for sub-web not working

Rose Bud

Likes # 0

Hi, I upgraded from 2000 - 2002 recently and my permissions for a sub web remained as originally set. My web server crashed and I've had to re-upload the entire site. I've put the individual users back into the permissions; they have names and passwords and browse only roles assigned to them. The problem I have is when logging into the sub-web (which is for users with a password) the password is not requested and any user can access the pages in the sub web.

Prior to the upload (due to the crash) when a user clicked on the sub web link they were asked for a name and password. Only users listed in the permissions list could get access, others were denied access.

Could anyone tell me why the system is not working and if possible how to rectify the problem. Thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

have the latest version of the FrontPage extensions installed on the server?

Like this post
Rose Bud

Likes # 0

Hi,

Yes the 2002 server extensions are there. Since I posted I have got it to work, but not in the way it should!! It's asking for a password when you enter the registration page and not the protected area! Also if you click cancel it will still let you in, before it would give a 401? unauthorised access code.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

the url - or email it to me if you would rather not post it?

Like this post
Rose Bud

Likes # 0

The URL is click here

I am a exhibitor/breeder of English Cocker Spaniels. The subweb contains nothing confidential. I tend to keep it private because I don't advertise my puppies but existing owners and people on my waiting list like to be kept informed. This way the information can be visible to those who need to see it.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
Rose Bud

Likes # 0

Sorry, forgot to say that I have set the permission to the same as the master web. There are dozens of people trying to see pictues of the new pups.

Would you like me to reset the permissions as unique?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I am being prompted for a username and password in the normal way.

Like this post
Rose Bud

Likes # 0

Hi,

Thanks for all you help. I did in fact delete and re-build the owners page etc. and on uploading it seems to be working as intended now. Don't know why as I did nothing different, perhaps there was a missing piece of code or some form of corruption. If there was I can't think how it derived but you know how delicate these things are!

Once again many thanks for taking the time to try and help me sort it out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded