We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Navigation Menu not displaying correctly

cornwall

Likes # 0

Hi

I have been using the sample website that comes with Visual Web Developer 2010 Express, and when in Test mode the Navigation Menu displays as I want it to - as a series of separate, highlighted, tabs. However, when I publish to live, the Menu just displays as a horizontal, unseparated, list.

I am extremely new to this (aspx; css etc), never having used style sheets before, so any 'simply explained' suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Please post a url so we can take a look at the problem.

Like this post
cornwall

Likes # 0

URL is

click here menu items should appear as seperate 'tabs'

Thanks for your help

The

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 1

I've no idea what you've done, but your style sheet indicates an unordered list to create your menu (a common method), but your page code shows a table - hence other than some minor local styling, nothing matches up.

I recreated your code and substituted an unordered list in place of a table and although it's not what you describe, is beginning to work.

I got a yellow background with a (darkish?) blue/grey background for the tab, that changes to a lighter grey on hover.

However, the tabs span 100% of the page, so that's clearly not the only issue with your code. But if you add:

position: relative;

float: left;

to your

div.menu ul li a

css, and get rid of the table and substitute an unordered list, it all begins to work.

Like this post
elsalvador

Likes # 0

wow what an act of web-design kindness! Impressed!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features