We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

would a better domain name help

supergran10

Likes # 0

Hi

Didn't have a problem years ago with orders (and that was having no e-commerce) .... am still using the same name www.lavendermoon.co.uk but have re-done the site. Now, months on and still not an e-mail, sale or request.

My daughter-in-law says it could be the name, as it isn't clear what the product is.

I am reluctant to change the name which I have had for 8 years as I have car window adverts, hundreds and hundreds of business cards etc all with that name.

I have read about buying another domain name eg www.fascinators-lavendermoon.co.uk which apparently can redirect folk to the site and is incorporating the word they most likley will be searching for but do not understand it all.

My host is 123-reg Software is Webplusx5 Cheers L

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

You don't rank well on Google and that means, until you do something about that, you have to rely on the offline promotion of the domain name.

I think you would be foolish to change it and, in any case, the domain name makes very little difference to site rankings.

I'm afraid your site is a good example of how not to get good search results.

Let's start with the page title, the bit that appears in the tab header of browsers. Fascinators/tiaras/jewellery/handcrafted is not a search term anyone would use. (If they did you'd come out as No. 1, by the way).

Google is stupid. It doesn't understand that you've used / to separate words. It just thinks that is one long word.

You need a title like 'Fascinators, tiaras and jewellery from Lavendermoon'.

Then you need a proper heading (an H1 tag) saying the same thing.

Then you need a lower heading (H2 or H3) saying 'Lavendermoon for handmade fascinators'.

At the moment Google is going by the use of 'fascinators' in the text. You need to let it know that this is the important word for your site.

'in the text'. You've used a lot of meta-keywords. Using keywords, in most cases, is just a waste of time because Google (and probably other search engines) doesn't take account of keywords for positive ranking. You have to get your keywords on the page.

I said positive ranking because Google, as I understand it, will reduce a ranking if a site has an excess of keywords. It assumes the site is trying to get a ranking it doesn't deserve and punishes the attempt. You have an abundance of keywords and I would think Google has punished you for that.

Your site needs a lot of work but first job has to be to delete all the metatag keywords.

The domain name is the least of your worries.

Like this post
supergran10

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and help me it is much appreciated.

I am not afraid of critisism.

Born in the 1940's so please........ be simple Hopefully I have made the changes as you suggest????....or have I done it properly?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

You've change the page title so that's a good start.

You haven't removed the metatag keywords. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Serif WebPlus X5 so I can't offer a step by step guide to removing the keywords.

Web design gets a bit confusing because there aren't enough phrases. 'Page title' is used for the title you've changed and also for the main heading on the page itself.

You need to have that as an H1 tag. On the Fascinators 1 page for example the code reads;

(in the following I've put a $ sign in place of the 'less than' sign used in coding and a £ sign in place of the 'greater than' sign because the forum software gets processes them like HTML code)

$div class="Heading-P"£ $span class="Heading-C"£Fascinators 1$/span£$/div£

That needs to be an H1 heading so Google can see its importance.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Serif WebPlus X5 so I can't offer a step by step guide to removing the keywords".

I am, and I can,but I'm on the move at the moment. As soon as I get a chance I'll post some instructions - it should happen sometime within the next 48 hours.

Like this post
supergran10

Likes # 0

hello...I can still do with all the help anyone can give many thanks

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

supergran10

If you put "how to use serif webplus x5" in a Google search, you should find quite a bit of helpful information there, including the Serif Forum and YouTube video's.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features