We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Setting up website for a friend

Mort105

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm creating a website for a friend, I should be ok with creating the site but not too sure which web host to go with.

Just wondered if any of you have good/bad experiences with hosts and also if the host you select affects your search position in any way.

Thanks for any help as not done this before.

Like this post
jonasmarsh621

Likes # 0

Wordpress is the place to be. Better features and Google loves it.

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

I've used Heart Internet for a number of websites. I have had virtually no problems and their support has been quick, efficient and helpful when I've needed it.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

The website itself should be fairly basic, with maybe a few pages. It's probably going to need a simple database to read from so I'd need the host to provide some minimal database storage.

Thanks for the advice - I'll take a look and read up a little more.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Like beynac I've used Heart Internet, and can recommend their efficient, professional customer service.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

I should probably add that I need a decent HTML5 editor - have tried a few google searches but it's hard to know whats good and what isn't.

Does anyone know of any good HTML5 editors that are free?

I use .Net at work but don;t have this at home so looking for freeware.

Thanks.

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

Just remembered I can use my work's MSDN license at home - so I should be able to install Visual Studio 2012 and use that to build the site.

Like this post
nahosting

Likes # 0

Don't forget you can get the express edition of visual studio from Microsoft for free, just go to here

Like this post
Mort105

Likes # 0

Thanks nahosting - I've installed the full version but is good advice for anyone needing freeware. Do you have any recommendations for a web host?

Like this post
nahosting

Likes # 0

Sorry Mort105 but I can't help there, against forum rules. I hope you find a reliable one. Cheers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you have any recommendations for a web host?

There are plenty of reliable hosting companies out there. My recomendation, based purely on personal experience is Heart Internet, but as I say, there are others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination