We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Feedback on redesigned website

Marg7

Likes # 0

I am in the process of redesigning a website for my son's guitar tuition, based on his ideas for the look. I am using Serif Pageplus X4 with a few additional bits of code, but basically WSYIWG,

click here

A few things that will be changed:
1. the photos to be replaced
2. A phone number to be added as contact by email only at the moment.

I would appreciate knowing what you think of the site so far.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

hi fourm member
thanks for your advice.

I'll experiment a bit more with the text colour to reduce contrast and aid readability.

Re typos -
I'll change 'Improvisation' and strange as it may seem, 'Musics' is the correct spelling used in the qualification.

On the contact page I used a javascript code which I found online click here . It is supposed to disguise the email address, which is then converted to ASCII - I don't know how effective this is at hiding the address from spambots.

I could try using a php form if the free account with 110mb will allow that. I would have to pay for php sendmail, but don't know if that is different. Serif can act as a webserver for php forms for users of their software.

Re meta tags & robots -
what do I need to do for the page to be indexed? At the moment old pages are indexed in google (i checked using google webmaster tools). I've uploaded a new sitemap, but the site has not been properly recrawled yet.

Re H tags -
the code was automatically written by PagePlus and I don't know how the content is structured, but I inserted an HTML H1 header for the title 'Guitar Lessons with Experienced Teacher' as I read that an H1 header rated well for search engines.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

correction to the bit about 'php forms' - Serif can handle pdf forms (not php) with a redirect service click here but I would need to look into that further.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

A huge thankyou for discovering that mailto: link with the other email address - I don't know what that was doing there - it was invisible on the Pageplus page and in the browser.
As it was invisible I've manged to remove it by backspacing the new address and it no longer appears in the source code - I've just put the new page online - I'll get around to adding a bit about using that method to reduce spam.

Thanks for your other suggestions for headings & content - I'll discuss them with my son - it's been something of a balancing act getting the right amount of text.

Like this post
IClaudio

Likes # 0

I'm sure that you've already discovered Serif's own WebPlus forum (if not, then click here)

It's an invaluable resource, with some of the friendliest advice on the Internet (along with the PC Advisor forums of course, with helpful people like like fourm member)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

is to create it as an image file, and insert that into your page.

It's not an entirely foolproof method, but it requires a good deal of knowledge to extract the address.

Alternatively you can use a server-side script. This method uses a simple question technique - you ask your visitor a question such as 'Add 6 and 4 together and type your answer here'

When the correct answer is inserted your email address is revealed.

In your case I suggest that you try the image method, it's quick and easy, and it works very well.

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

IClaudio
thanks for the link. I've not tried the Serif forum.

Forum Editor
'A good way of hiding an email address'

I've been using the AT method for about a year with no spam problems on the previous site. I thought it might be a good halfway measure as it can be copied & pasted, but it is a bit clunky having to replace the AT.

Ideally I'd like a more user-friendly method. I can manage basic bits of code with help. I'll look into your suggestion for a server-side script and see if i can find any help for this online (might take me a while).

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

I've just found this info about using Mailhide recaptcha click here to hide an email address.
Would this be a good thing to try in conjunction with an image of the email address or the 'AT' method as a fall back?

Like this post
Marg7

Likes # 0

hi fourm member - I should have written what I meant a bit more clearly.

I was thinking about using the captcha to hide a clickable email address and also having the copy and paste 'AT' method as an alternative in addition to this so there was a choice between the two.
It certainly would be a bit much to expect people to do the captcha then have to copy and paste etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features