We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing website hosting company

Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

I run a simple website for a social club. We have our own Domain Name - we are quite happy with that. The website is only used for advertising purposes, and for prospective members to find out a bit about us. I want to change the web hosting company from Googlesites to Yola. I've already got a couple of test websites with Yola, and am quite happy with them.

Last time we switched website hosting it was fairly straightforward, as we were changing our Domain Name at the same time, and the two websites were running in parallel for a while.

Question 1 - Where can I get information on this whole subject - I need some sort of Guide for Dummies - is there a website that explains the whole subject in very simple terms?

Question 2 - During the switchover from the old Web Host to the new one, is there a time during which our website will not be accessible?

All help will be welcome, please!

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

i am a cureent 123-reg.co.uk user. to change hosting, it is very likely you will need to change the name servers from google to Yola, this is easy and takes around 24.48 hours, they say. (most of the time it happens sooner). If you would like help doing so, click the mail icon next to my username and you can send me an email instead of putting questions here where i might not check them - i will receive an email from PC advisor notifying me then.

Like this post
Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

Hi Fourm Member,
Many thanks - it's explained quite well I have to admit. I've now just got my timing right.

One more area of concern that I've got, if anyone can help me please. We've gone with the free route for this website, as we're a small non profit making club. I'm concerned that Yola aren't a UK based company. Given that our domain name is registered with 123, would we be better to transfer our website to them instead, on one of their cheaper packages?

The reason I'm asking this is that we used to be with Streamline - in fact our old website still is. The old domain name was originally registered by another club member with 123, and when we set up the Streamline website, the Domain transferred to them - which was an irritating surprise. I don't want the same to happen again, as I want to keep any domain we take out in the same place for simplicity.

All comments and help are really welcome please - many thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features