We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

26th October 2009 end of Geocities

Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

GeoCities, our free web site service, is closing
Dear ** *******

We're writing to let you know that BT Yahoo! GeoCities, our free web site building service and community, is closing on 26th October 2009.
What do I need to do?
If you're no longer using your web site, you don't need to do anything. But if you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other files you've posted online, you need to download your files to your computer now.

How do I save my files?
To download your published files and images, just go to your GeoCities web site, right-click on each page, and choose Save Page As... from the menu that appears. Choose a location on your computer to save your files, then click OK or Save to save the HTML and images associated with your page.
Learn more about downloading your files

How do I recreate my web site?
With your pages and images saved offline, you can recreate your site with another hosting provider. If you’d like more information about BT’s hosting service, please go to BT Web Hosting.

Don't wait
Please note that after 26th October 2009, your GeoCities files will be deleted from our servers, and will not be recoverable. If you'd like to save your files, please do so as soon as possible. If you need some help, please go to the help centre

Thank you for choosing BT.
Best wishes,
The BT Total Broadband team

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

on the same subject a while back - it's certainly been known about for some time.

Like this post
Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

just said later this year

A friend has just renewed his BT contract which he only did for the Webspace and he is most miffed :(

Like this post
LSCUE

Likes # 0

Hi - actually the BT hosting service is different to Geocities, its much better! I think its on special offer at the moment, £2.99 per month for a year click here, you get included domain, 5gb webspace, 300 + templates.

Cheaper than a big mac and fries per month!!

Like this post
Seth Haniel

Likes # 0

^

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites