We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Web Design Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen resolution problem

Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

I've created a simple basic website for a small social club, using Googlesites. I've used their templates and menus to create the site, not HTML coding, which I don't know much about.

My screen resolution is set at 1024 x 768, and to me my site looks fine, exactly as I want it.

But a friend has his screen resolution set at 800 x 600 and the appearance isn't right - I'm sure it's because he's set his screen resolution low. Even on my screen, when I create or edit a page it looks fine, then when I go into preview it's often not quite right so I have to alter it a bit, but I can live with that, it's quite useful.

I've read that it is best to set the site to a fixed number of pixels rather a percentage. Is there a standard number to set it at, that will make my website look reasonably good for most users, whatever their settings?

I've read a lot about this on the Googlesites help menus, but I'm finding that I'm blinded by science, as they are all much more technical than me. I need some help aimed at real "Dummies". Any hints and tips would be much appreciated please.

Like this post
Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

Hi fourm member - Many thanks for your help. I've set up a test website to experiment with, so I don't ruin my main one - I'm on a bit of a learning curve here!

Like this post
Kemistri

Likes # 0

Many developers stopped building sites for 800px viewports a long time ago. Many developers also favour elastic layouts when possible. (You can include me in both of those categories). The very few folk who still have 800px monitors are usually the same folk who still use IE5.5....

Some devs worry about all that whitespace in wide viewports, but I strongly doubt if anyone routinely uses a browser at full-screen if that screen is 1680 or more, or even 1440. That being the whole point of a wide screen.

Now the tech bit: The decision of what width to built to (or optimise for, in the case of an elastic layout) is fundamental and it happens real early. That's because your whole layout is going to be driven by it. So, unless you want to do a major reworking and have the technical ability, don't sweat it over your current 1024 layout. Widescreen-ers are used to it and the 800 folk need to upgrade!

(BTW: In interests of completeness, I should acknowledge that it's becoming more common to have to consider very small viewports on various kinds of mobile device, but wholly different stylesheets are provided for those.)

Like this post
Dragonfly2

Likes # 0

I think I'm getting rather out of my depth here. I didn't set out to build the website at 1024 x 768 (I wouldn't know how), that's my screen resolution.

I've got another test website, also with Googlesites (that's not open to anyone else to view - too much rubbish on it!), and I'm experimenting with that to see what layout is the best.

Anyway, many thanks for all the comments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features