We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where do I start to create my "website"?

powerless

Likes # 0

Having just had Frontpage 2002 for nearly a week now i have not started to create a site i've just had a play with tables, flash menus etc. Seeing whats, what; experimenting and mainly learning frontpage. (and still learning)

Now it's time to start creating the beginning of my website and i havn't got a clue where to start. The obvious place is to start is at the homepage but i'm finding it difficult to actually create.

One thing that gets me is how to make one page appear the same on other pages, the layout etc?

It will be the same as the homepage except that the material in the other pages will be different. The tabeles will not change and the backgorund colour (well its white) i want to be all the same...

How do i make this automatically happen in other pages?

There is "shared Borders" but the layout that it gives is not the way i want the pages to look. I want it the way i want.

So how do i make the layout of each page the same?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

First of all you need to create a new web. FP will, by default, create the web in the 'My webs' folder on your hard drive, and that's where it will be saved until you publish it to a server.

Your new web will open in FrontPage with a blank page, and you can then set about creating the homepage, complete with Navigation bars. The best way to get a uniform 'look' is to apply one of the many FP themes, and you can do this by going to the Format menu and selecting 'Theme'. FP will present you with a themes dialogue, where you can choose a theme, and choose to apply it to the current page, or every page in the web. Select the latter option, and you'll find that each time you add a new page it will appear already formatted with the theme.

If you want the navigation to appear on every page in the web you must add each page to the navigation view (View/navigation) by dragging it from the folder view into the navigation view. Place each page directly under the 'Home' icon, and you'll see link lines automatically appear.

There isn't the space here to give a complete FP tutorial, and I think it best that you come back to the thread with specific questions as you get deeper into the software. It's all a bit strange at first, as new software generally is. You're working with a very powerful application in FrontPage, and it's worth taking some time to acquire the basics before you start on your site in earnest.

Like this post
soy

Likes # 0

Jumping head first into the software will always be problematic unless you have a rough Idea of what you want. I suggest you plan out the layouts, pictures, colour schemes, content and links on paper before you start. This way, you save alot of time going back and forth altering little bits of the site you become unhappy with.

I've spent almost a whole day once on a homepage alone. I kept on changing the colour schemes, font, text etc.

If you want a uniform look, there is a feature in Dreamweaver called Templates. You create your own templates and specify editable regions where you can add text and pitures. The rest will be kept in place and unchanged. You use this template for each page of your site by just changing the text in each page whilst keeping the same layouts and page design throughtout the site.

I haven't used Frontpage before so I don't know if it has this feature. Maybe you can look into it?

FE's response of themes sounds like this.

Like this post
powerless

Likes # 0

I have a plan of what i want, layed out etc...

I've dont that bit with a pencil.

The unifrom look that i want - well i hate the FP themes and prefer one of my own. I see what your saying about using them, customising them etc myself.

But i want to use my own design, there's nothing fancy about it. It's just getting it applied to all pages is the problem.

The stange thing is that i've actually typed out a few things the text is alread to be implemented into a page. Trouble is the layout being apllied to all pages is what i'm after.

As i say not using the the FP themes.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

by modifying one of the FP themes, and I suggest that you do this. It's straightforward enough, and it's the ideal way to get from A to B quickly. Give your theme a unique name, and apply it to your site.

Like this post
tbh72

Likes # 0

I have found the simpliest way of creating your own consistant theme, is to create a blank template page. Which is basically your whole, colours, font's, tables, navigation hyperlinks etc... You can then save & edit this as each page of your website. It's hardwork & has to be right. if you've got a 20 page website & make a mistake on the template, then you have to edit the mistake 20 times!!!

CSS - Cascading Style Sheets are another option, but I am still learning about these myself & am as dumb asthe next man about them!!!

Like this post
steven_frost

Likes # 0

Hang in their i've talken advice from alot of people on here about my site to and all have been very helpful.

Frontpage is great and does take time to learn how to use it but when you start to get it, it all comes together in the end

Microsoft do have a tutorial on their web site which you can download ( click here ).

give it a go it may help

Like this post
powerless

Likes # 0

I have the tutorial already, decided to print the 60 or so pages, but ran out of paper.

Themes - When i select a theme only the backgroud of the theme appaears. No links etc, just the background...

Whats wrong there then?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You have to add the navigation system yourself, and the theme will automatically be applied to bullets etc, as you type the text into your tables........you are using tables aren't you?

Like this post
powerless

Likes # 0

Oh yes i am.

I picked up from yourself that tables are better than frames.

So i am using tables.

It's been fun too.

Like this post
powerless

Likes # 0

Hmm...

I decided to start from the beginning. I created an empty web and then applied a theme to the index.htm.

I just get the background.

Now i then created my table and added a few bits into it.

I then saved.

I then opend a new page and i get a blank white page.

No theme.

What am i doing wrong.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia