We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frontpage 2002 potential buyer queries

powerless1

Likes # 0

Well first of all would it be worth buying considering FP2003 is slated for release soon?

Beta testers anything new and improved that would make a beginner like me want to wait for 2003?

Then again is FP suited for me, the beginner? I've had a look at the MS FP site and all the flashy demos and, well it looks dead easy, or is it?

The front page extenions concerns me that i could go creating something without realising that a exteniosn is being used. Only to find out later that my host (as of yet i have no host) does not support the extenison.

I'm guessing you have to choose an extenison so that way i would know. Or does FP hide it from to make it all nice and easy?

Any downsides to FP (might as wlll tell me now)?

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

It is possible to use frontpage to write and design/manage sites both small and large without making any use of the extensions. Granted if support for them is available they can be useful.

Personally I would hang fire until 2003 comes out as the promised changes could be quite useful.

For a beginner I would recommend considering some of the alternative shareware and freeware programs which are about ... many of them are excellent wysiwyg editors .... although much depends on your level of interest and need for the facilities of frontpage if just for one website circa £100 may be a little too much to pay

Like this post
Falkyrn

Likes # 0

See click here for comments by amongst others the Forum Editor

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

FP 2003 since the first beta, and I'm very happy with it. As far as I'm concerned it's the best version so far, and the final release should be worth waiting for.

Don't get too hung up on this FP extensions thing - most ISPs will support them, and if yours doesn't you can always ask them to install the extensions. They're free to download, and don't take much time to install and configure on a server.

The extensions are required to run some of the enhanced FP components like hover buttons, animated text effects and forms, but it's quite possible to design and upload a very good site in FrontPage without these components, and without the extensions being on the server.

Like this post

Likes # 0

As the FE has said

I have been also Beta Testing FP2003

I would wait for its release in the autumn

I have FP 2002 and although it is good 2003 wipes the floor with it

Frames are easier to make and you can also add scrolling text better with FP2003(than 2002)

Also it has more gizmos and gadget add ons

My Advise is to wait for FP2003

Why not ask on the forum if anyone has A beta kit to see if they have FP2003 that they dont use?

Like this post
STEVE71163

Likes # 0

Looking at this perhaps i should have waited for 2003 as i bought a copy on Tuesday (2002). I hope it will be useful for a few years!

Like this post
Taran

Likes # 0

Don't be discouraged over your purchase.

I still use FP 2000, as well as 2002 and the 2003 Beta as well as a host of other applications.

I will certainly be buying and using the final release of Office 11 and the improvements to FrontPage are one of many very good reasons for doing so, but try and put this into some kind of perspective.

Your intended use is to design your own site and possibly progress further into web design in general. For this, FP 2002 is a superb starting point. In my humble opinion I do not think you could have invested in a better program that has the ease of use for newcomers combined with the seriously advanced built in functionality that very some sites require. FrontPage has more features and capabilities than you will ever need or use, I can guarantee you that.

Think of it like this; how many people use even a fraction of the features built into Word ?

FP 2000 or 2002 (which is undeniably better than 2000) are both excellent programs with more to offer than most users will ever need from a web editor. If you want to become a real geek (like me) you can even learn some VB programming and start programming your websites to interact with other MS Office applications.

I don't know of any other program that generates dynamic database driven websites on the fly using a simple wizard to get you going. Every other program I use requires you to manually set up your own database connections and so on.

Believe me, a couple of years from now you will still be finding things that you didn't know FP 2002 could even do. It has so many toys, bells and whistles, you'll be like a child in a sweet shop once you get under its skin.

The extra features of FP 2003 are all well and good, but having them available is not the same as needing them or, more importantly, knowing how to use them.

So don't be despondent. Professional web designers will still be using FP 2000, 2002 and 2003 in a couple of years time to good effect.

At the end of the day buying something and sticking with it for a few years is sometimes far better than waiting for the next version to come along.

The problem is, especially where Microsoft is concerned, there is always a "next version" in the pipeline...

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

With respect to our esteemed FE, it seems to me that the vast majority of the popular ISP`s, (who provide our free web space), do not support Front Page Extensions.

If he can give details of those who do, I am sure many of us would be interested.

As the inclusion of them is free, and simple for the ISP to configure on their server, I am puzzled as to why so few have done this.

Like this post
Taran

Likes # 0

The free space that your ISP provides is a far cry from a dedicated host.

You have to remember that an ISP will "give" you a certain allocation of web space and transfer bandwidth as a part of your subscription to them, but in most cases they do so by keeping the available functions of that space to a bare bones minimum.

If they can give you your "free" space without having to install and configure FrontPage Server Extensions for every user, so much the better. Likewise, they don't usually offer the option of running custom CGI scripts, or database support (MySQL, MS SQL, Access and so on) or dynamic pages (PHP, ASP etc) and a whole lot of other things.

If you want that kind of functionality for your site it's fair to say that you get what you pay for. This is about where a dedicated web host makes sense. For a reasonably small fee in the range of around £85 plus per year, you can get your site hosted online by a company whose only job is to keep your site live and online as close to 100% of the time as they can, allowing it to be viewed 24/7 by your site visitors.

By paying for a hosted site you also get the FrontPage extensions, database and dynamic page support, custom CGI/Perl script support and all kinds of other bells and whistles that you might need. The host is not there to provide you with a connection to the web like your ISP; all they do is offer you reliable web space and email based on your domain name and as such, they are worth every penny.

It's a common mistake to think that an ISP and web host are the same thing.

They are poles apart.

An ISP's main job is to offer you, its subscriber, a reliable connection through your personal account and email based on your username.

A web host does just that - it hosts your web site and makes sure it is available all the time to every visitor.

In most cases neither your ISP nor your host can offer what the other does in full. If they did, we'd all be using whichever one delivered the whole lot.

And there are some ISP's who do offer FrontPage Server Extensions, but I'd hardly think that an ISP subscription makes sense when a dedicated web host for most domestic needs costs less than a yearly ISP account.

Regards

Taran

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

Well i decided to buy FP and am now having a play with it :-)

Like this post
STEVE71163

Likes # 0

I bought the same on Wednesday (2002 version)but am finding it a bit difficult. How are you getting on with it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen