We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Canon Printer MG5450 Need to Scan in OCR

Shikaree

Likes # 0

Hi Folks,

I have a Canon Printer Pixma MG 5450. It does not allow me to Scan in OCR Though it says OCR Scanning. I have always used Lexmark and it did OCR very easily. I need to Scan a large document in OCR then Copy & Paste to my Website.

Please HELP!!

Thanks

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Posted 0 seconds ago

Hi Folks,

I have a Canon Printer Pixma MG 5450. It does not allow me to Scan in OCR Though it says OCR Scanning. I have always used Lexmark and it did OCR very easily. I need to Scan a large document in OCR then Copy & Paste to my Website.

Please HELP!!

Thanks

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've never used a Canon, but with the Epsons and HPs I've used in the past, there was always OCR software that you had to install.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Most printer scanners will let you scan to a picture file and then that file can be imported into a separate ocr programme. Can you not do that?

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Do you have an OCR program installed. They usually come with the printer in a strip down version.

Like this post
HenryF75

Likes # 0

It is difficult to be specific not knowing all your software details but I had a similar problem and found the information in this Blogvery helpful,particularly the workaround using Google Docs which I have used with success. One warning though: the converted google dock contains the original image as well as the editable one, so make sure you go to the second page.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton, chub_tor, alanrwood, HenryF75,

Thanks very much for all your advise. On my Canon I can only see JPG & PDF Photo & Document. I can't see OCR.

Can I download an OCR Software. On my iMac I have Acrobat Reader 5.

I can Scan Pictures and Import & Export can't do that with the PDF Image.

Thanks

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have not tried this but click here is one free ocr programme to get you going. I am surprised that Canon has not included some ocr software among their utility programmes, they usually do and it should be on the disk that came with the printer.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I am very surprised that Canon have not included an OCR on your install disk. I would guess it is there but you have not installed it.

The functions you mention (jpg,pdf) just mean that the scan will take place and the document will be in the jpg or pdf format on completion. You will certainly need an OCR program if there is not one already on your Canon driver disk. Usually they are called Abby Fine Reader, OmniPage Pro or similar. Google "OCR software" and there are quite a few free OCR programs. Can't say how good they are as I use Abbyy Fine Reader and it does a pretty good job.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

chub_tor,alanrwood,

I have an iMac, will Abbyy Fine Reader work with my iMac. I used before with my PC. and Lexmark Printers.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...