We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

replacement hard drive for medion all in one pc 3 years old

aidan56

Likes # 0

My ST310005 20AS hard drive seems to be dying as it starts to load progs from the desktop then stops then continues for a few seconds then stops again. Sometimes it works properly but most times not. It keeps on like this for ages. If the HDD is dying which model should I replace it with. The HD pushes into a slot in the all in-one-computer, there are no wires or connectors showing.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is this an add on drive or main drive for the PC?

Like this post
aidan56

Likes # 0

Its the main HDD no room for more than one

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Sounds like time to consider running the HDD Manufacturer's Diagnostic Software

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Probably a 3.5in SATA plugging directly into the mobo. Easiest to pull it and have a look. If so, then any of the major suppliers Maxtor Western Digital, etc. Just need to choose a capacity that suits your needs.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. When up and running, you could try running Chkdsk /r from an elevated command prompt.

Like this post
aidan56

Likes # 0

Thank you for your advice

I have tried chkdsk /r from elevated command and corrections were made but still behaving the same.

It' a seagate drive so I've tried Seatools software from the seagate website but this doesn't even recognise that the drive exists. It only shows my USB Epson printer.

Yes its a SATA plugging straight into the mobo but the connections seem different to those seen on the photos of replacement drives shown on the WD site.

Like this post
aidan56

Likes # 0

Further to what I've written above the disk is just shown as hard drive in device manager but it used to quote its make and model number. Perhaps when I took it out to check its connections it lost that info when put back in?

However on my backup disk imaging software (macrium reflect) it's still listed in full with all partition particulars shown.

I'm writing this on the machine so it will work when it feels like it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It has it down as a usb device. Now I have a Medion Desktop and there is a slot on the top outside of it where I can slide in an external hard drive.

I never bought one but would imagine your one must be the same sort that you just push into the slot with no cables to connect to.

If it is that type of hard drive maybe they are made especially for Medion computers.

It maybe plugging into a usb connection. Mine would be a 3.5 inch so would imagine yours would be the same. Just the fitting that would be different from normal.

As you have already done a chkdsk try sfc /scannow again in command prompt and see if it fixes anything as well.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you had a look at the Medion site for updates etc. I find it fairly poor but worth a try.

Medion

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It is possible there is an adaptor plugged onto the end of the drive. try prising it gently. A similar setup had me confused for ages on a Toshiba laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK