We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 - Galaxy Sll not recognised

m800afc
Resolved

Likes # 0

Win 7 Pro 64bit: Intel Core i7 CPU [email protected] 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770 Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) : Epson Stylus Photo R1900.

I have been happily connecting my Galaxy Sll to my W7 box for a good while. I just plug it in and the phone appears on the taskbar as another HDD.

I connected my phone this morning to find an error message saying that "one of the usb devices has malfunctioned and is not recognised. Windows does not recognise it"

How can I get it to connect again. I have tried Safe mode, but it has no effect.

All help will be gratefully received

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Update:

Normally it's plug and play, and I have no need for Kies, however I tried using Samsung Kies setup to reinstall the Galaxy S2 drivers. Kies setup completes normally but now the error message is "the device driver software was not successfully installed". Running the Kies troubleshooter did not help . I have also tried both in Safe Mode with no joy.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

NirSoft has a free software for viewing installed and connected, as well an unconnected, usb devices. Click here. If you connect the phone to a usb port then it will highlight it when you connect it. All connected devices are highlighted. Disconnect the phone then right click the port and you can uninstall it using right click and selecting uninstall. It should then reload the generic drivers again when you reconnect. Have a read on the help files. Just don't uninstall the keyboard or mouse (HID)!! Double left clicking gives more info. It should name the phone on the left column as it names my Lumia on one port and Windows phone on another. Worth a look.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Solved.

I shutdown my computer and my phone completely, taking the battery out of the phone. After a couple of hours I fired up the computer, replaced the battery in the phone and restarted it. When I connected the phone to my PC everything was working as usual.

It's a solution. It does not, however tell me why it happened, or how to prevent it happening in future.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I used to get that sort of problem with a Galaxy 1. Never found the reason and that problem plus Kies is why I moved away from Samsung.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Windows and Android do not get on very well as they are different file systems

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert