We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Firewall missing on XP Laptop

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I have just noticed that my wife's XP laptop has no Firewall. Note that with a, update by Microsoft the Firewall is disabled.

Research has shown that Microsoft provides a fix for the problem but is there another Firewall option that can be recommended ?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

This is not as bad as you might think. If your wifes laptop connects through a router then the router uses NAT - Network Address Translation. This means only requests from the laptop are allowed to reply back to the laptop. An attempt to access the laptop from the internet will be blocked by the router as it will not have an originating address to direct it to.

That said I would continue to use Windows Firewall if only to stop pop up messages about No Firewall. The next Windows update will probably address the issue.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If you use an Internet security Suite that firewall covers you and switches Windows Firewall off.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Windows XP's Firewall is said to leave much to be desired.

Comodo and Zone Alarm are free, currently Comodo appears to be the most highly regarded.

You have not mentioned the name of her Anti Virus Program, some include a Firewall as part of the Suite

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies. My wife uses Windows Security for anti virus which makes the lack of a Firewall even more strange.

I will look at all the other suggested options. Touch wood we have not had any problems with the laptop maybe because it is wireless through a router. Tks again.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Windows Security is poor and there are much better free products available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone