We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet computer purchase - antivirus/firewall etc?

kwil2

Likes # 0

I intend to buy a tablet computer as a Xmas present for someone. I've not personally jumped on the tablet bandwagon to date, so don't have much experience of this device,though it will be one that uses Android Jelly Bean operating system With regard to web security: can 'normal' antivirus programmes and firewalls be used with a tablet (say, Avast antivirus/Zone Alarm etc which I've always used myself)? Or is it best to use 'tablet-friendly' versions of antivirus/firewall? If so, where do I get them and any recommendations?

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you Google play store, click on apps, type security in the search bar it will give a list of all available security apps. I just use the free Avast app on my Nexus.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree

I use the free Avast Antivirus / malware app from Google Play store.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Here's the list of apps available, Click here.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I use Lookout on my Androids

Like this post
kwil2

Likes # 0

Many thanks to all for taking time to reply. I intend to load basic security before giving the gift just to make things easier for the recipient. The Avast app would take care of antivirus...but I can't see any mention of firewalls in the list.... I'm now assuming I just can't use 'normal' Zone Alarm as in my own computer, but must use the app version... So,is there a firewall app or am I just going blind?

Many thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I downloaded Free Mobil Avast for my Hudl and loaded that

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...