We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Seagate Warranty Returns in Practice

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I have a Seagate external hard drive which has failed after about four years and was very pleased when Seagate confirmed that it was still under warranty. I arranged a returns number, but then noticed Seagate's requirements for packaging the faulty drive. Those include putting it in a ESD bag and securing it in 2 inch thick foam rubber. As I do not have the original packaging after four years, that is not all that practical. Does anyone have any practical experience which might help please. After all, as prices of discs have come down, there is a limit to what is worthwhile.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I don't think they are being unreasonable. When you buy a new one it comes in protective packaging and as they will want to examine you old one they wont want it in good packaging so that it doesn't get damaged in transit.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

If you don't use an anti static bag then it could be damaged in transit by simply being moved .

Physical damage to a hard drive is also possible unless it is well protected from shock damage.

In fact they are protecting your interests by ensuring that it gets to them safely and without further damage which could result in a rejection of your warranty claim.

If it is not worth the trouble then so be it. That is down to your assessment.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Find a sturdy oversized box, wrap the drive in an anti-static bag and then surround the drive on all sides with plenty of bubble wrap and make sure when you place it in the box, it can't move around.

OEM drives are now supplied in this manner, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've always found Seagate to be perfectly reasonable about warranty claims, so I doubt they'd give you any grief.

As long as you've taken all reasonable steps to protect the drive, I don't see it as a problem at all.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

wiz-king "as they will want to examine you old one they wont want it in good packaging so that it doesn't get damaged in transit."

A paper bag should do in that case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September