We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best small business PC and support

Al Davies

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am looking to buy a desktop business PC with Windows 7 and good, next day support. I have read conflicting opinions on the makes looked at.

I have seen the HP Elite range and these seem to fit the bill but then someone said HP uses cheaper components than Dell. I looked at Dell Optiflex and some say Dell support makes one jump through hoops before they will send out a tech to fix a problem. Of course I don't know if any of this is true.

I see neither maker is listed as best under the PC Advisor best for business reviews and PCA seems to prefer the smaller companies.

The Lenovo range seemed to fit my needs but they seem to offer PC's with Windows 8 and the right to downgrade to Windows 7 which has been described as a tricky two hour process. Life is too short for that.

Anyone have any experience with the above companies?

Thanks.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There is no short cut to choosing what is suitable, because whatever you decide there is always a chance there is something far better or worse on peoples preferences and required specifications. The same applies to maintenance contracts and warranties, and all to often you will hear of someone's misfortunes, while other might praise silently.

Having said that, then perhaps look no further than Dell for a business deal, because their products and service seem to cater more for business outlets like some of the major institutions. And through their on-line system, you can choose components on your own specifications and finance limits. but be warned here, because some of Dell parts might be 'modified' to suit Dell only. This use to also apply to the likes of re-badged Dell printer's.

At one point I use to deal with Dell on a fair scale, having had access to various discounts and special deals, but alas that all came to an end, when Dell sales would not honour one of their discount agreements, even though they tried very hard to make the sale, offering other supposed incentives. But I suppose that is life, whatever you choose in the end?.

With regards to PCA reviews, they only review computer's that are supplied to them, usually on perhaps short term loan. Or at least that was the procedures previously.

Like this post
Al Davies

Likes # 0

Thanks Spuds,

As you say, I guess whichever I choose, there can be problems. I have had a Dell Dimension 5150 since 2006 with no problems but have read that there quality is not as good as it was for home PC's but about on par with HP for business stuff.

Thanks for your response.

Rgds

A.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have no personal experience of commercial machines since IBM, but my Solicitor neighbours have been happy with Dell for years.

However they have an Office full of PC's. I have no idea how Dell's promises work for the single PC Business.

Be aware, the Laws regarding Purchase & Warranty are different for a Business and not as strong as the Personal Purchase Legislation

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite