We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re-building PC into rackmount case, motherboard-unsure

Ryanpaterson

Likes # 0

Hi!

I'm hoping to build my old pc into a rackunit, the case i'm after is this.

'Codegen 4U RackMount Case'

The current motherboard I have is a Msi P45 Neo

And I know that wont fit, but I don't mind buying a microATX one on the cheap (if possible) and reuse the parts i've got from my motherboard. Basically I've got a Mac which I use for audio recordings, but I'd like to add my pc into my audio equipment rack unit, save it just being a mess under my desk. It's old, but it's a pretty decent (reliable) pc.

My processor is this Intel Core 2 Duo e8400 . I have a Nvidea geforce 9400gt

1]: [click here 2]: [click here 3]: [click here 4]: [click here card. and x2 'PC2 6400 2gb Ram sticks'

I understand that probably most of this won't be reusable. But I've seen some pretty cheap mini ATX motherboards out there, I just don't know what one would be suitable. I'm also willing to pay to buy parts that won't be reusable, just didn't really want to have to scrap all parts if not necessary, don't really want to rebuild a new pc just for the rack mount.

Also, ignore the PSU, the case I want says it will take a standard ATX psu so for that I'm covered.

Thank you for any help,

Ryan

graphics

Like this post
Ryanpaterson

Likes # 0

For example, would this motherboard work? ASRock G41m

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< The current motherboard I have is a Msi P45 Neo..........And I know that wont fit, >>

Why would you say that? The 'Codegen 4U RackMount Case' would take even an Extended ATX up to 12"x9.6". Just dismantle everything carefully from your old case & move them back into the RackMount Case.

Try renaming your forum username to something different to avoid spam emails e.g. Ryanpaterson

Like this post
Ryanpaterson

Likes # 0

Well the description says 'Motherboard :Micro ATX & Extended ATX (up to 12"*9.6") (P4 Ready)'

whereas my size is ' 30.5cm(L) x 22.0cm(W) ATX Form Factor' = 12.007874"x 8.66141732"

I know we are talking crazy small difference there, but I don't want to have troubles screwing it on/fitting. Plus my worry is where my pci graphics card would fit, as well as my onboard audio+usb slots etc.. There doesn't seem to be a place for that at the back. (better images of it Here)

There doesn't seem to be that much space. Looks different to example, This Where there are clear template like displays on the back. Though which makes me wonder weather atx is right for the case. Sorry if i'm being totally amateur about this, just money is tight, can't afford to get it wrong really. I really aprechiate the help. Thanks, I'll change my username now.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<<I know we are talking crazy small difference there, but I don't want to have troubles screwing it on/fitting>>

Motherboards be it ATX or Extended ATX ,all have the same vertical dimension as 12" or 30.5cm, only the width determines if it's eATX (9.6" or over ) or ATX (less than 9.6"). I'm 99.99% sure your MSI board will fit because its width is narrower than 9.6".

<< Plus my worry is where my pci graphics card would fit, as well as my onboard audio+usb slots etc.. There doesn't seem to be a place for that at the back. >>

'Codegen 4U RackMount Case' is no difference from the case in other link you posted if you see the actual case on hand. It's the top cross member bar( which you might have to remove) blocking out your angle of view so as you can't see the onboard audio+usb slots etc...

<<Though which makes me wonder weather atx is right for the case>>

ATX will fit alright plus if you change to a different board, windows has to be reinstalled due to hardware changes. (though XP can be sorted out thru' repair install)

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

"Plus my worry is where my pci graphics card would fit, as well as my onboard audio+usb slots etc.."

From this Click here

Found Pictures in this Click here

Rear view Picture in this Click here

Like this post
Ryanpaterson

Likes # 0

Retepp888 and Lazarus the 2nd thanks for the replies!

It's cleared a lot up for me, really good things to know like the similar dimensions in the make of board.

Consider this thread Solved!

Thanks very much everyone!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......