We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nvidia Card Stops Responding Problem

Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello i have a windows Vista desktop computer. For quite a while even when i update my Nvidia 8400GS video card drivers i get this message when my computer stops or crashes where it says Nvidia Card Stops Responding; then after a while it might start again. Sometimes the whole screen crashes. I sometimes rollback the drivers then reinstall the latest one again it sometimes works but then it starts up again. Is there anything that is causing this or is it just the age of my computer? Ive had it for about 6 years hope this helps and someone can give me an idea what is causing it or i just have to put up with it thanks for any ideas.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'd try the oldest driver here, it should be the 2012 310.70 driver. Check the OS in the search field. Change Windows update to "notify of updates but let me download and install". This is to prevent Windows automatically updating the drivers again. See if the card works better.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I've had the same intermittent problem over the past week and suspect the latest Nvidia drivers I installed on the 7/11/13. As the new drivers do not really improve anything I will when I get around to it revert back to the older driver.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

BRYNIT , the new driver 331.65 cured a problem for me. I used to get a black screen for 3 seconds when changing from normal video to HD and when changing back. The older driver(310.70) didn't show this problem. Today my card recovered from a crash but only once so will just monitor how it goes with this update.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello thank you for your replies, It seems to happen each time i update the drivers but is there a chance that other things can effect the graphic card like the Java one downloads? Sometime the screen freezes and wont start unless i close the computer down completely and reboot. I even wonder if certain software or graphics or the internet can affect the graphics card. It does seem to happen when im on the internet or playing games that it might happen. I ll try and go back to an earlier driver and see what happens thanks for your help.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello when you install new graphic card drivers should you roll back the last drivers to your original graphic card settings or is it alright to overide the previous drivers with the latest updates? Just wonder what you might do thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I just installed the driver 'over the top' when I used an older driver.

Like this post
Phoenix40

Likes # 0

Hello just two other things about installing drivers. If you think theres a fault with the latest drivers youve installed is it alright to install over the same driver again? And not rollback to your previous drivers first. Finally if you are disatisfied with your latest drivers is it alright to reinstall an older version straight over a recent one. Im just curious to know the right way of doing these things without corrupting the graphic card thanks for any advice.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

You can roll back to the previous version or uninstall the gx card driver thru' Add/Remove or use CCleaner, if the older version works then leave it like that.

(1).Test your video card using Microsoft's Directx Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Start" menu and type "dxdiag" into the search box to launch the tool, How to Test a Video Graphics Card

(2).Download and install a free copy of ozone3d's FurMark utility so that you can see how well the card performs under stress and at what stable levels you can operate the card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today