We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wifes PC started running very slowly

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

My wifes PC has just started running very slowly, it takes ages for firefox to start up, so long that when you click close, you get a program not responding error. Everything has been ok.

I have avast anti virus installed and a PC tune up utility which runs in the background.

I also did a system restore which had no effect.

The PC is running windows xp.

Someone suggested too many applications at start up?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'd download and run the free version of CCleaner (you can stop processes starting at boot from there as well as clean up temporary files etc). I'd then install the free version of Malwarebytes and use that to check for nasties that avast may have missed. I'm wary of 'pc tune up utilities'. The only one I trust is CCleaner.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would echo that

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

if u can download ccleaner from ccleaner

maybe from a friends pc onto a pendrive and then load it onto your pc and run it

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Turn off automatic updates - reboot -and see if that helps.

I have a couple of pc's running XP and there appears to be an issue with checking for updates.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

edenworkshops,

Like Jollyjohn I too have several PCs running Windows XP and I am suspicious that Windows Update is causing problems with a very slow PC for several minutes at start-up until the updates are installed. I also recommend switching off automatic updates and checking for them manually on or soon after the second Tuesday of each month.

Perhaps Microsoft is trying to wean users off of Windows XP and is restricting performance as a means to that end?

Peter.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Have faith and patience and it sorts itself out. All my XP installations have updated and returned to normal speed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

Lenovo has created its own 'Google Glass'